• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Who all uses VR?

Ricknau

Rick Nauman
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
The Pimax looks good for FOV, but I understand it is awkward to set up.
I've been Pimax since 2017. I really like the extra peripheral view. Started with Vive but jumped on the Pimax kickstarter as I said in earlier post. The kickstarter got me a 5k. True, especially back then, that it was a bit clunky to get it setup. (Face fit, IPD adjustment, headphone quality/type, balance/weight) And honestly they had some manufacturing issues to overcome. Mainly the plastic housing developed cracks after some months. But they took responsibility, swapping a new unit at no charge. I've had my 8kx for a couple of years now and it has not developed any cracks in the housing. And I think they have improved the setup experience or maybe I'm just used to it. They do offer options/choices on various components. But being a dedicated user for so long, transitioning to my 8kx was painless.

IMO, with such a wide FOV, optics is their biggest hurdle. You have to get the headset positioned just right on your face to maximize the sharpness and minimize warping at the far edges. It also is essential to super-sample to get the best image. But my 1080ti was sufficient for the 5k. I upgraded to a 3080ti for the 8kx.

I'm seriously contemplating getting their upcoming next-gen 12k model. Not so much for the extreme pixel density but for the hoped-for improved glass lenses. Will wait to see what the first owners say.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I've been Pimax since 2017. I really like the extra peripheral view. Started with Vive but jumped on the Pimax kickstarter as I said in earlier post. The kickstarter got me a 5k. True, especially back then, that it was a bit clunky to get it setup. (Face fit, IPD adjustment, headphone quality/type, balance/weight) And honestly they had some manufacturing issues to overcome. Mainly the plastic housing developed cracks after some months. But they took responsibility, swapping a new unit at no charge. I've had my 8kx for a couple of years now and it has not developed any cracks in the housing. And I think they have improved the setup experience or maybe I'm just used to it. They do offer options/choices on various components. But being a dedicated user for so long, transitioning to my 8kx was painless.

IMO, with such a wide FOV, optics is their biggest hurdle. You have to get the headset positioned just right on your face to maximize the sharpness and minimize warping at the far edges. It also is essential to super-sample to get the best image. But my 1080ti was sufficient for the 5k. I upgraded to a 3080ti for the 8kx.

I'm seriously contemplating getting their upcoming next-gen 12k model. Not so much for the extreme pixel density but for the hoped-for improved glass lenses. Will wait to see what the first owners say.
Thanks for that.

I'm currently leaning towards the G2 - coming from the CV1, (and not having tried anything else), I think I’ll get on fine with the FOV (especially if I buy a new V2 version rather than a used V1) - I can always sell it if the 12k (or whatever) proves a hit.

Ricknau

Rick Nauman
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I can always sell it if the 12k (or whatever) proves a hit.
Be aware the 12k is projected to cost $2400 US dollars! Cool thing about Pimax is that if you already own an earlier headset like a 5k or 8k they will take it as a trade-in at your purchase price if you buy a 12k. I got my 8kx for $900 so I could get the 12k for ONLY $1500 !! o_O

I see the 5k is on Amazon right now for $600 US. Is Amazon in Europe?

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Be aware the 12k is projected to cost $2400 US dollars! Cool thing about Pimax is that if you already own an earlier headset like a 5k or 8k they will take it as a trade-in at your purchase price if you buy a 12k. I got my 8kx for $900 so I could get the 12k for ONLY $1500 !! o_O

I see the 5k is on Amazon right now for $600 US. Is Amazon in Europe?
The 5k Super is £569 on a limited time deal via Amazon UK - so a little over $600. I’d still need lighthouses though.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
So my G2 arrived today!

Definitely a lot sharper than the Rift but (perhaps as a result) there’s a noticeable drop off in sharpness from the centre to the edges. My 2080TI can’t really feed it either so I’m having to run at a lower resolution for now.

Inside-out tracking is ok but not as good as with the Rift lighthouses.

More tweaking required!

J-P SImard

League Member
There are plenty of tutorials on youtube to improve your G2, whether it's settings for Mixed reality, Steam VR and the RF2 game.

A quick and easy thing to help your computer is to put the game in windowed mode. This is just one of the applicable tips.

Bruce

League Member
Got my new system. VR is great now with the Quest 2, using the Meta link cable plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 USB C port. No more jitters and the cable supplies all the power I need for charging and streaming, so no worries about the battery running down. Couple of small problems, the Oculus PC software has a banner saying I do not have a high enough spec to run VR! Also, iRacing is locked at 60fps. Other than that all is running beautifully. The new passthrough option is really great. Double tap on the side of the headset and you are back in the real world albeit in monochrome. And, as above no need for towers with inside out tracking.

Last edited:

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I’m still liking my HP Reverb G2 - especially with my new 4090.

The inside-out tracking is definitely not perfect though - but to be honest, once on the track you don’t notice it.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
In other news…
….there have been a lot of recommendations to bypass SteamVR (particularly with the HP Reverb G2 headset as it’s a Windows Mixed Reality platform and that adds yet another layer of translation to the stack) and use OpenXR (via opencomposite - there’s a lot of confusing ‘Opens’) instead.

I’ve been getting a solid 90fps (the max for the G2) in rf2 in a full thunderstorm with 15 visible AI MX5s at Sentul and with pretty high settings in SteamVR. I just couldn’t get anywhere near that with the same settings in OpenXR though - which was baffling.

Turns out there was probably a hangover in my system from my Oculus days when I originally tried opencomposite but couldn’t get on with it - a possibly redundant opencomposite.ini file that set supersampling to 2.0! Resetting this to 1.0 has brought the Open performance upto at least SteamVR levels - but I’ve yet to have a chance to see if it’s got the reported performance advantage and/or to use the various tweaks and tricks it can bring.

Looks promising - but I miss the excellent fpsVR Steam display - it gives so much more useful information than the hud in OpenXR Toolkit and I have been running it as a matter of course in all my Steam VR games.