Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Time for another change!

We'll give one of @Ratus 's Sunday League suggestions a shot. Golden Era Trans Am!

There are six four cars to choose from - and a quick test suggests that although they're of similar pace, their characters are somewhat different.

Link to Cars (InternationalSimRacing)
Track Link (Workshop)

Note - you will need all of the cars (although we may slim that down in the future). Either download and install the individual cars from the link above or download direct from our server (although we'd prefer you keep the bandwidth down!)

TransamGOBs.jpg

SR4L Rules and Etiquette: Linky

Server up and running on ‘!SR4L-3 Wed Nite’

Gather from 7:00PM UK time (6:00 GMT, 8:00 CEST)
10 minutes Qualy starting at 7:30PM UK time (8:30 CET?) - unlimited laps.
Race length c. 10 mins (5 laps) - normal fuel & tyre usage

Racing usually continues to c. 9PM UK time (10PM CET?). Join anytime but be ready to race!

Finishing positions of each race will be reversed for the next starting grid.
Race sessions will be rapidly advanced to Warmup soon after the last racer has crossed the finish line.

Nominal warm-up between each race while grids are set - keep an eye on the chat window as if everyone is ready to go, we will… Shout out if you need a quick break.

Attachments

• Transam.jpg
    Transam.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
Really like these cars. Its great how they are all a bit different even in the sounds. Sadly I can't race this Wednesday.

giorgetto giaguaro

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Yes, these cars have a great physic, even with the defoult setup I enjoed them a lot. The sound is great too!
If I have to choose between this mod and the M1 I would go with them for our upcoming season.

Mauro

GPL Lover
Staff member
Modding team
Maybe it could be useful

Physics:
-Howston Dissenter (S397) with weight/inertia & engine power modification for each car

Cars/weight/engine power:

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Maybe it could be useful

Physics:
-Howston Dissenter (S397) with weight/inertia & engine power modification for each car

Cars/weight/engine power:
Thanks Mauro - I’ll take a look at the files and report back.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Here we go:

In summary, the Plymouth Cuda, Dodge Challenger and Pontiac Firebird are the heaviest at 1.46, 1.46 and 1.48 metric tonnes. Camarro and Mustang are lightest at 1.392 tonnes (approx. 5% lighter)
All engines are approximately the same in terms of peak power and torque except the Firebird which is a bit anaemic!
As far as I can tell, the power and torque curves are identical - they're just scaled slightly between vehicles.

I'll take a quick look at the tyres etc. but I'm guessing they are identical.

Code:
Camarro
Mass=1392.0                  // 1317kg all mass except fuel
Inertia=(2234, 2450, 460.8)  // all inertia except fuel
455BHP/6750RPM
589Nm/4750RPM

Dodge Challenger
Mass=1460.0                  // 1349kg all mass except fuel
Inertia=(2344, 2571, 482.1)  // all inertia except fuel
463BHP/6750RPM
599Nm/4750RPM

Ford Mustang
Mass=1392.0                  // 1317kg all mass except fuel
Inertia=(2234, 2450, 460.8)  // all inertia except fuel
462BHP/6750RPM
598NM/4750RPM

Plymouth Cuda
Mass=1460.0                  // 1349kg all mass except fuel
Inertia=(2344, 2571, 482.1)  // all inertia except fuel
460BHP/6750RPM
595Nm/4750RPM

Pontiac Firebird
Mass=1480.0                  // all mass except fuel
Inertia=(2376, 2606, 488.4)  // all inertia except fuel
431BHP/6750RPM
557Nm/4750RPM

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Yeah - quick check suggests tyres are identical.

Ignore the figures in the above table that occur to the right of ‘//‘ - these are old comments. The true masses (in kg) are the ‘Mass=xyz’ figures.

Last edited:

Ricknau

Rick Nauman
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
At this track (actually most tracks) I get tremendous glaring reflections off the pavement at some spots. Like blinding. I have road reflections set to off. Even with time of day set to noon (for high sun angle) it is still there. Is there a fix for this?

JimmyC

Been a long time since I've joined an event here. Is voice chat available/recommended? Thanks in advance. This is a great car mod and one of the best tracks in any sim. I'm looking forward to it.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
At this track (actually most tracks) I get tremendous glaring reflections off the pavement at some spots. Like blinding. I have road reflections set to off. Even with time of day set to noon (for high sun angle) it is still there. Is there a fix for this?
I do, but I think it looks good.

We running the Fall version of the track on the server. At this time of year the sun is low in the sky, so you get more of this sun reflection on the road.

But I have heard it looks bad for VR users? I think you use VR. Does it look fine on your main screen? This is what I see on my screen below.

20220809175035_1.jpg
20220809175015_1.jpg

Ricknau

Rick Nauman
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
But I have heard it looks bad for VR users? I think you use VR. Does it look fine on your main screen? This is what I see on my screen below.
Looks ok on my monitor. Think I see subtle differences from med to ultra. But blinding in vr no matter what level... even with reflections off.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Been a long time since I've joined an event here. Is voice chat available/recommended? Thanks in advance. This is a great car mod and one of the best tracks in any sim. I'm looking forward to it.
Jimmy - short answer is not really. There is a private Discord channel (organised by a completely different racing group - some of whom occasionally join us on track) that some of us join if it’s not being used for anything else - but I don’t think it would work as an open channel.

I‘m in two minds about a dedicated channel for the fun races - it’s a double-edged sword of being able to apologise and strategise on the one hand with explosive abuse on the other. I’d probably prefer people rage-quit if they feel aggrieved rather than let tempers flair (and they will…) on an open channel.

The league races are slightly different - as it is a closed shop, I would expect better behaviour and we can maybe look into sorting out a discord channel or something.

Willing to give it a go for the Fun races though - but we’d need to work out some etiquette (no open mics, headphones only/noise-cancelled etc. etc.)

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
But I have heard it looks bad for VR users? I think you use VR. Does it look fine on your main screen? This is what I see on my screen below

It’s not great for me - but i’ve got many things turned down for framerate so I don’t expect it to be brilliant. Can’t wait until I can upgrade to current kit (thanks Mum! Hurry up inheritance tax peeps!) so that I can get some visual quality back.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
…anyway…

What a blast last night! Cruicky and Ed - I hope you‘ve got passes for next week!

We had a maximum of I think six racers - par for the course recently during the European summer - and if anyone claims they completed a race without leaving the grey/gray stuff, I’d like them to submit proof!

They are a hoot - but a lot of work. I’ll be interested to see how they work on a smoother course (Ed - as the Dissenter fan, if you can suggest a suitable track…?) I‘m minded to give them another outing - at least until the Caterham is fixed.

Talking of which… Although the initial implementation has its flaws (no visible front wheels in VR(!), weird gearbox (paddles don’t seem to work, block shifts (e.g. 4th to 2nd) impossible in h-pattern), dubiously soft FFB (owner feedback;)) - it has reconnected me with my h-pattern shifter. I ran all last nights races on the h-pattern and even with the frenetic wheel-twirling and ‘water bed’ ride, I loved it. I even found foot-swapping feasible and intuitive (I.e. right-foot braking as part of heel’n’toe followed by left-foot braking to get weight transfer working in my favour.

All due to the Caterham box:). Heel’n’toeing in the Caterham is a genuine as-good-as-real-life joy!

bullwinkle

Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
no one said I shouldnt park there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Hello Amigos, was offline, 2 weeks of spain with family. Hope you guys are all ok and enjoyd the sommer (not the heat) too . Good Mod choice :). Sorry missed first sunday Race. Cu soon again on track :)
Look forward to you joining us. Willow Springs feels like it will be another good track for these cars.

We’ll need to decide what to do the following week though - at some point I think we’ll want to run the v1.05 Caterham for a while but I’m happy to stay with the TransAm if we’re enjoying them.