• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Fun Event Wed Night Fun Races - 2022 - SR4L BMW M1 LE

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Yes, times very close :).

Dan and Josh had what they called a Tyre puncture in one race.
I experienced it in one of the next races. rFactor2 does not have Tyre punctures, so no idea what was going on with the car :D.
Back end was jumping out, hard driving it straight, even on the straights.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Yeah, I was going to ask what this puncture business was…

I suspect it was a breakable suspension component - from my limited modding, I understand you can allow bits to break (losing an entire wheel is an extreme example, but I believe each suspension element (generally four wishbone arms per wheel with associated joints) can be given its own characteristics.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
OK - NOW FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT...

First of all, we'll race at the updated Okayama GP 2017 track (v1.6 - steam workshop) - a cracker of a track with pretty good graphics performance from what I can see...

Secondly, the car...

For some time, SR4L have had permission from Arnaud to modify the GTPC BMW M1 for our own use. Our aim has been to make it a bit more friendly and to try to soften some of the 'features' such as the bouncy ride and tyres that skip when you slide and spin. The GTPC base version had some quite significant front-end lift and quite restricted setup options (very high tyre pressures, limited camber settings etc.) - all quite possibly period-accurate, but not easy to live with!

Development of the SR4L LE version has progressed with stops, starts, detours etc. - but there's no better place to get some feedback than a bit of racing...

IMPORTANT NOTE: The SR4L LE is fitted with push-to-pass - you will need to map one or two keys/buttons to take advantage of this:

P2P.jpg

The 'Check remaining time' button is optional - it will just pop up a message to tell you how much entitlement you have left.

Activate Push 2 Pass will give you a maximum of two five-second bursts of power. Use them wisely. It's obviously not period-realistic, but it should introduce a tactical stalemate-breaker into the mix. You only get two shots over the entire race - blow them early and repent later!

Aside from P2P, there are a host of tweaks to the GTPC version - too numerous to list (or recall) really.

See what you think and please feed back.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Thank you for all your hard work. I will try it soon :).
Hard to know where to press the Turbo button on a very twisty track like this :p.

-----
About me. Today I've reinstalled Windows 10. I'm hopping it will fix my 'Connection Lost' problems that I have when the session moves to next one.
I've already did a re-install of rFactor2 from scratch 2 weeks ago that did nothing to fix it. Reset network settings, no help.

If a fresh Windows install still does not work, on a positive my computer boots up a lot faster now with fresh Windows :D, But I've not re-installed all my crap yet :p.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I did a reasonable amount of testing today before releasing this version. I’ve upped the grip levels (tyres) since the version DeeCee last tested. Also lowered the drafting effect - although it is still fairly significant).

Cant detect any grounding effects - although the nose does get awffy- close to the ground.

Brakes are ‘period’ (which period, I won’t offer!) The default pedal pressure is quite low - but don’t expect to light up the tyres in a lock-up.

Handling with default setup is pretty safe but you can unseat the rear - but unlike the original, it’s manageable (I think…)

Note - there are options to alter the FFB response at the ‘configure’ menu when selecting the car livery before entering the event.

I did try to implement the new oil/water cooling interaction - but it didn’t end well. It ended consistently, but not well…

I *think* I made a template for livery painting - but haven’t sought it out yet. You’ll know if I find it:cool:

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I’ll check the template(s) out later - quite often, a modders idea of what is a useful template diverges quite a bit from mine!

The brake bias might need a slight forward tweak (which I think I unlocked so that it can be done in-car) as the default setup was developed with different tyres for starters. I’ll put some more miles in myself today, probably.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
I did the bias change, it helped thank you.
Learning how to stop a car while going downhill :D.

Windows 10 re-install did not fix the Connection Lost problem I have :(.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I did the bias change, it helped thank you.
Learning how to stop a car while going downhill :D.

Windows 10 re-install did not fix the Connection Lost problem I have :(.
Oh dear.

*What on earth* could be causing it? If you’ve reinstalled Win *and* rf2, gotta start looking at your router/Wi-Fi/BB provider I guess….!?!?

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
(Forgot to say) - there should be zero performance difference from choosing WEC vs Le Mans vs Rally spec liveries

Also - thanks to those that have posted times so far!

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Which of the three option tyres are we running on ?

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Which of the three option tyres are we running on ?
There is only one option now (if you discount the rain tyres).

The dry tyres have more grip than the grippiest version you’ve previously tested. The rear compound is *slightly* less grippy than the front as the rears felt a bit over tyred to me initially.

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
Car feels very good to me, and the default setup works very well indeed. Top gear doesn't get much use but shortening the ratios didn't improve my laptimes.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Car feels very good to me, and the default setup works very well indeed. Top gear doesn't get much use but shortening the ratios didn't improve my laptimes.
Thanks.

I took it around Cruicky’s bridge-to-gantry Nurb3 track last night for a bit of a workout. Default setup again but with one more click on the front wing to try and tame the inherent front end lift that still persists.

It went well (sub-8 time) and was quite driveable - you do need a little bit of patience and restraint to get the nose turned in but once you’ve started to get a little bit of slip angle, it seems happy.

In development, from memory, I did tweak the aero to alter how well the wings do/don’t work as you get a bit of yaw - the original (again from memory early this year) was a bit knife-edge and could snap beyond a certain point. I think I widened the useable yaw window and also balanced the front vs rear fall off in downforce so that it should be a bit more friendly and recoverable. Or maybe that was one of the many development dead ends! I can’t remember….