• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Help! VR - 'inside out' headsets and head-position issues (HP Reverb G2)

Need help urgently?

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
'Inside out' VR headsets use a series of low-res cameras built into the headset to track head movement rather than the infra-red outside-in pylon tracking method.

Outside-in systems are generally better at tracking because the headset is only really looking for the distinct IR signature of the pylons (or vice-versa - headset has the IR emitters, pylons are the 'eyes') but because inside-outs rely on visible-spectrum images, they can be 'distracted' by anything from reflections, movement on screen etc. leading to poor tracking and sometimes even complete jumps of the head position.

This latter problem has recently cropped up on my rig - I'd be sitting in the car and all of a sudden my virtual head position would teleport outside of the car - sometimes snapping back a second later, sometimes not...

I tried 'everything' from changing lighting, hiding reflective items under cloths.... No joy.

A (fairly lengthy) Google led me to an apparent solution. I'd always assumed that the headset (my HP Reverb G2 anyway) automatically reset its zero-position at the start of each game (or when the VR reset button in-game was pressed).

It appears that this is not (necessarily - some headsets may vary) the case... When you set the headset up initially, it asks you to place it where it would be when sitting at your rig and then to click a button. This appears to take an environmental snapshot from which key trackable features can be identified. If your environment changes (lighting, moving stuff around, curtains open vs closed etc.) the reference image can become out of date and tracking and the zero-position can become confused...

For the HP Reverb G2 (which is a Windows Mixed Reality - WMR - headset), you can go to settings, 'clear environmental data' and then go back into the room setup (and in my case, choose the seated option) where you will be prompted to take a new snapshot...

...seems to work for me! Good luck!