upgrade nightmare

lamer of fortune

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Hi all,

just met Tim on the server with steady 90fps and all is hopefully fine. However it has been a nightmare to get there and I was deeply depressed in between.

Surprisingly the parcels turned up on Saturday instead of Tuesday as indicated and I was positively surprised.

I am no newbie when it comes to taking the PC apart and I thought it is going to be a piece of cake as I had ordered an upgrade bundle and expected the things to fit together.

Mobo in, powersupply in, CPU in, no problem so far , mounting the cool was the first heeadache but that was a stupidity problem of mine. DDR4 into the correct banks and then power on - nothing.

everyting out everything in again - nothing

reading the first half of the internet - maybe a Bios issue with the new CPU. OK lets reflash it. Spend most of the day trying different USB sticks as it is known to not take just any. Finally an interesting pattern of flashing. That must be it - still nothing.

The QLED pass teh DRAM, the CPU but then hung up on VGA and boot.

I then assemble the whole thing on the table to make sure i have not missed out any cable - still nothing

Reading the second half of the tech support internet - maybe too mch pressure of the cooler onto the CPU. Ok everything out again and remount with less pressure - nohing

Some obscure reports talk about issues with Display ports and recommend HDMI for booting - Oh wow I can see the UEFI after 2 days.

Ok lets put the second DRAM bar in - nothing still only 8GB, try out all the locations.

On guy reported DRAM issues due to a bent Pin on the CPU. This is worrying but my last chance before sending the stuff back tomorrow. I take the CPU out again and OMFG one pin is totally bent. Was that me or did I get a returned one? I don't know, hard to prove anything and I want it to work now. After a few YT vids I have gained enough confidence to have a go at it. As a model builder I am not afraid off fiddly stuff but this is expensive fiddly stuff. After trying some tools I was able to reerrect the pin. That felt good , reassembled everything, soft on the cooler screws and - nothing, not even the first DRAM stick was recognized from before. Thats when I probably reached my personal low point. It wont go much lower than that. I also was of not much use to the family as this was consuming all of me.

One last attempt based on even more internet research (is that possible?) Maybe i have smeared some heat paste onto the CPU pins when I worked on the bent pin. Everything out again and yes there is a tiny little bit. I get alcohol and try to clean everything up, give the pin another small adjustment and put all back together. Ah I see the first 8 GB again but not the second. Oh sloppy job of inserting, pushing them fully in and here we go 16GB of Ram, miraculously windows starts without an issue and all my programs still work.

What a relief! I feel like the master of the universe. The DDR4 speed is only 2133 instead of 3200 but I dont care for now.

Oh and the Porsche is really smooth now but still to be tested in traffic.

Cu on the track.

Dan Bayford

League Member
Thats good news Tobias glad you got it sorted in time for the new season good luck see you on track

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
What a relief indeed. Wow, I would have been panicking if this was me. Yes, I've been at that low trying to get things to work. It's a GREAT feeling when it does work and you finally get to play with it.
Test it out tonight in the Tuesday night mid week League.

Bruce

League Member
Haven't built/taken apart/updated a PC for years but I can remember when I did and I feel your pain and elation. Well done, perseverance works.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
That new PC of yours has made you a bit fast Tobias. Some good speed you had in the race.