• Guest - Welcome to SR4L!
    The SR4L forum and race servers are funded entirely by donations - if you can help support us, please donate here! -> here
  • Hello Guest
    Sim Racers 4 Life is CHANGING!
    Our race and forum servers are changing for financial reasons - quite simply - we are downsizing to better match demand and the level of donations. There may be some outages over the coming days/weeks but please be patient - we will be back!
    If you can't find our race servers, try searching for 'SR4L' (no quotes) in the Matchmaker - for some reason the '!' in '!SR4L' seems to confuse it. Please keep up your support!

Smart Objects in skins

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
I noticed that scaling down logos reduces significantly their details.

I turned them to Smart Objects before scaling them down and this conserves most of the detail when they are scaled down.

The problem is, Image Size went up, from 2048X2048 to 7566X7566 and .psd file size from 16,9MB to 177MB.

I then saved as .tga and then tried to save as .dds as I usually do.
It didnt, instead it warned me that Image Size must be multiple of 4.
So I changed down Image size to 7564X7564 but now it saves just a 0MB size .dds file.
Any ideas?

Also, I have seen around very detailed skins, how do you do them?
I expect much detail will make Image Size bigger, doesnt this affect the servers?
What is the optimum size for a skin?

Hedlund

League Member
Hi Nikos.

I'm not sure what "smart objects" do because I never use it. But now I tried, and what seem to happen to you didn't happen to me. I used a 2048x2048 template and put a big logo on the car which I converted to smart object and scaled down. When I was finished my template was still 2048x2048, so I'm not sure what's going on?

But for me, the smart object did no difference. I can scale big logos without loosing much quality. For example this one: http://www.stickeruk.co.uk/ekmps/shops/tony05/images/lotus-john-player-special-jps-b-5190-p.jpg
This is how it looks when reduced by 90 and 95%. Still looks good to me? Or do you mean even smaller, tiny tiny logos?

Anyway, when you have finished your skin - can't you simply scale the image back to 2048x2048? (menu bar > image > image size)
2048x2048 seem to be the standard size for skins and I don't think you should make it any bigger.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Untitled-3.png
    Untitled-3.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 33

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
So Rik it looks like Im doing something wrong cause resolution went sky high when I used the smart objects.

Anyway, if you say 2048X2048 is the standard, I must find my way to there.
And I did converted back to 2048X2048 but no good.

Look

From this

I got this

which in reality if you go close looks like this

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
I think I found it

Looking at View/Actual Pixels I got this

at 2048X2048 resolution.

I suppose its ok, seems I was zooming in too much.

Hedlund

League Member
Yeah it looks fine. It's impossible to get something so small to look perfect when zooming in that much... you're not supposed to do that ;)