• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Sunday League Rnd 9 F1 Legends Adelaide 1988 Race Reports

J-P SImard

League Member
The race had started well for me, I had a great battle with DC for the win but I made a mistake and hit the wall.

Then when I came back my steering wheel was crooked and I was right in the middle of the track I ran into DJ and Cook, sorry guys I'll be careful next time.

Congratulations to those who finished, it was a difficult track.

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
Evasive action at the start set me back but had some good battles before the pitstop. A bit of a panic when Ricky blew up in front of a bunch of us and everyone checked up. I got into the back of Gary a bit there but we continued all right.

I deliberately don't set a pitstop in the setup so I won't get annoyed by Pit-In messages after 4 laps when I have 14 laps of fuel left on tracks that weren't created properly. The crew therefore is supposed to put the same amount of fuel in the car as I had to start the race. I pitted with the fuel just starting to sputter as I came in after completing 15 laps but left the pits with only 8 laps of fuel -- three laps short of what I needed to finish the race.

A lot of short-shifting and coasting and eventually giving up positions (held on for a while there despite the short-shifting!) got me just barely to the finish line in 6th. Looks like with the attrition I should have gotten on the podium! Darn it!

sdancourt

League Member
Very happy, with the car, the track and the race, very good setup and good feelings.

Surprising P2 in qualy with a very high 38, my best here...and everywhere....

Start in P2 make me nervous, loosing control on 1st gear and went to the very back of the bunch. Then begun a long and arduous climbing in the grid, good fight with Keeper and on lap 23, when pushing hard on Gary for P4, my engine burn out.:p:p

Will get a serious talk with Forghieri.

hangon

Had a good race..quallied at back in 10th ..got a couple little taps at start..some evasive moves..but all went okay. Good battles with a few of you eg: Ron O Dell ..ended up with a 4th , happy with that

bullwinkle

Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
race was a disaster for me. it all felt different to me today and i hit the wall lost a wheel and was done sorry deecee.

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Had a good start but then threw it away going wide into turn 2, this allow JP to pass and we now started a great battle for the lead , I pushed JP as hard as I could , I appeared to have the edge on brakes but JP was better out of the corners so we were pretty even , I did manage to get past twice on the brakes but JP saw me coming and came back under me both times and retook the lead , eventually my pressure paid off when JP locked up and slid wide at the very tricky turn 13 , I was now on my own and settled into a rhythm I was happy with , I had gone very aggressive with the setup on the rear tyres so I started to nurse them to get to the finish .

lamer of fortune

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Sunday afternoon and evening is busy with driving atm as I also participate in the ISR GT3 championship whihc is earlier in the afternoon and alternateing in a few weeks from now. No fun race there with a full race with bent steering due to someone trying to win in T1.

Based on this frustrating event I was rather keen on doing better in Adelaide and based on my training laps I was hoping to be on a competitive setup and car. I was not able to reproduce the 1.38 (great lap Santiago btw) but made it to P4 in Qualify. I lost a position shortly after the start but the first lap was ok so far. This changed at the chicane at the end of the finishing straight. Can't recall what happened exactly but I found myself in an odd angle on the left side of the track with the whole field still closely together and no gap where I could sneak back in without causing a pile up of cars. I had to wait until everyone had passed and then put in reverse and make it back to the track. The car fortunately was still rather drivable and I then focussed on regaining some positions or at least finish. During the race I passed two burning cars and other mishaps must have happened as I was climbing up the ranking over the laps finishing P5 which was still happy ending for me given the mistake I made in Lap1.

Btw I started to use the rf2 setup tool to enhace graphics and it looks better and is smoother in VR than before. Maybe worth a try for you too.

hangon

Sunday afternoon and evening is busy with driving atm as I also participate in the ISR GT3 championship whihc is earlier in the afternoon and alternateing in a few weeks from now. No fun race there with a full race with bent steering due to someone trying to win in T1.

Based on this frustrating event I was rather keen on doing better in Adelaide and based on my training laps I was hoping to be on a competitive setup and car. I was not able to reproduce the 1.38 (great lap Santiago btw) but made it to P4 in Qualify. I lost a position shortly after the start but the first lap was ok so far. This changed at the chicane at the end of the finishing straight. Can't recall what happened exactly but I found myself in an odd angle on the left side of the track with the whole field still closely together and no gap where I could sneak back in without causing a pile up of cars. I had to wait until everyone had passed and then put in reverse and make it back to the track. The car fortunately was still rather drivable and I then focussed on regaining some positions or at least finish. During the race I passed two burning cars and other mishaps must have happened as I was climbing up the ranking over the laps finishing P5 which was still happy ending for me given the mistake I made in Lap1.

Btw I started to use the rf2 setup tool to enhace graphics and it looks better and is smoother in VR than before. Maybe worth a try for you too.
rf2 setup tool??

Ricknau

Rick Nauman
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
rf2 setup tool??
yeah... huh? I need to explore this.

I wonder why no other VR guys had trouble with this track. It was hopeless for me so I didn't race. Jerky 40fps for half the course with graphics on low and super-sampling set to SteamVR recommend level. I can usually run with graphics at med-high and super-sample at 200-225ish %.

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Hey DJ whats happened to those fantastic vids you used to do , i miss them they were very enjoyable

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member

I tried the setup tool recently and ran in to loads of problems with my VR that I believe were related. It installs (optional but I think defaulted) various bits and bobs and I ended up with a very grainy image and couldn't get back to my original. One of the optional components also seemed to have a bit of a CPU load - and my VR is CPU limited.

In the end, I resorted to the nuclear option of a complete reinstall of rf2 and have been happy with my stock VR performance ever since....

I *might* try it again (I'd not done a fresh reinstall for a couple of years and all kinds of stuff could've built up in a bad way) but I'm hesitant...