• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Sunday League Rnd 2 F1 Legends Spa 67 Race Reports

bullwinkle

Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
well started 15 was doing ok up to 10 or 11 then lap 6 car in middle of road spinning bang good night sorry Deecee great race

lamer of fortune

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Belgium is always a mental chaellenge. How long can you not think about anything else and stay in the zone. Today it worked out well.

I like the old Spa circuit and did quite a few training laps. Then yesterday i watched a rc buggy tutorial about the anti rollbar physics and this motivated me to play around a bit and after some tweaking I found a fast and superforgiving setup.
Based on the training times I knew this could be a good race if can keep it together and stay out of trouble. I spend the whole day building a down draft table and almost missed Qualify. I joined a few minutes late and started in safe mode to get a laptime in.I progressed to P4 which i was already excited aout. Inthe secont stint I made mistakes in the the first teo laps and then gave it all in the last lap that I entered just a few seconds before time was up. I could not see what was the gap tho P3 as I could not find the commend to toggle through the stats after the reinstall (very strange'). The lap went well and whne I finished I saw myself at P1. Wow never achieved that.

That was the entry into a lucky race. I lost 2 positions at the start and in turn one as I wanted to play it safe following Daves advise. Not everyone did and in the replay i could see the mayhem that unfolded behind me. After a few laps I could catch up to Dan and then overtake him. After a few I saw a red car getting closer and overtaking Dan. This was Martin Nehl. I He came rigth behind me waiting for a chance. I was fast at Burnenville and Masta, at Holowell I was braking quite early (as always) to keep a safe distance to the heyballs which must have come as a surprise to MArtin who was on a late brake full risk trjajctory. the maneuver to avoid me send him into the brickwall nand from there into Dan who was close too. I might have been a softer target. After that no one came up anymore, maybe too much damage taken at the first corner incident. I managed to keep it together and drive home my first ever league race win. In combination with P1 in Qualify a very rewarding race.

Ricknau

Rick Nauman
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Tobias I just have to give big CONGRATS!! First pole and first win!! Must be very satisfying! I've struggled for a long time trying to almost match your pace but now you have risen to a new level.

My race went as good as I could have hoped for. In the last few days I shaved off some time getting to the high 36s on my very best laps. I knew this would only be a mid field start but the key was going to be survival. I managed to survive and gain positions at the start coming out of Eau Rouge in P4, having started P8. Ran closely with Marwin and DC for the first stint. Dave was handicapped by his gracious car choice so It made for some fun jockeying. I was able to hold him off (or, make that Dave waited patiently) until it was pit stop time wherein he pulled a classic over-cut. I pitted first because I could feel the car starting to slide more and more. With me out of his way he burned a full speed in-lap and when the stops were over he was 7 seconds ahead of me. End of challenge. With Marwin crashing out and Dan having a long pit stop with repairs I inherited P3. From there I just concentrated on concentrating! Cruised it home for a P3 podium step. Which would be very rare if not a first for me.

Last edited:

Fergy

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
Great turn out. 21 on track. Well done Tobias.

Let me know how the server performed or if you had any issues.

lamer of fortune

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I think the VR with its high immersion helps to stay focused on such tracks.

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Qually

I wasnt too concerned with getting a high grid spot as long as I was near the other Brabhams , the draft is very powerful here and they realistically were my target , the Eagle and Ferrari,s were too fast for me to worry about .

Made a cockup striaght away by following 2 cars onto track and running a red light , got myself a stop go , so drove around and did practice pitstop , after that I got into the 37s and settled for that , I was behind DJ and JP which was great for me .

Race

Lady Luck decided to sit on my shoulder for this one , I decided to do a gentle start and watch what happened at Eau Rouge , the carnage kicked off and going into the corner 2 cars were across the track in front of me , I thought game over , then it was like the parting of the red sea , both cars went in opposite directions and a gap appeared on the end of my bonnet for me to drive through with barely a touch phew ! , coming round the penultimate corner I saw JP offtrack and 2 haybales dropping on me , both hit me at just the right height so no damage occurred .

At the end of lap 2 I passed Rick who was in the barrier at the exit of La Source and was feeling quite pleased with myself until I got to Stavelot and found a big blue car on my tail , he stayed with me through le carrier and then blew past on the approach to Blanchimont , now came a very enjoyable but frustrating dice with Rick , he was way faster on the striaghts but I was quicker through the corners , where I was fast he was slower and I had to keep compromising my exit speeds so I got a double whammy when he put the power down , I could stay with him but never get an attack in , was I glad when he pitted , I was fueled for 8 laps so I pushed hard trying to gain time on him , fortunately when I came out of my pitstop I had gained enough time to be clear , I could do nothing about Tobias he was well away so just kept an eye on Rick and brought it home .

Congrats to Tobias , that was a mighty drive

sdancourt

League Member
Ahh Spa....so beautiful and so ruthless....start 12 or so, got caught in Eau Rouge incident with no apparently damage, still 12 during first lap but, when exiting Blanchimont at the end of this very first lap, following Fabian and Mr. Fisk, hit a hay bale at 200 kmh, sent to nearby big electricity pole and destroying the car.

Some years ago in this very League, a good guy developed a Friendly League version of this Spa without hay bales and a much better starting grid arrangement. I recommend that next time we race here, try remember this Spa Friendly League version in order to get less trouble and a bit more satisfaction for everybody else while trying to race in this beautiful track.
Congrats to Tobias!!

Last edited: