• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Sunday League Rnd 14 F1 Legends Japan Race Reports

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
SuzukaBikeGP03.png

Post your race reports :).

Congrad to Dan for his very first league race win.

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
I was surprised my early qualifying time stood to P6 all the way to the end, and even more surprised to stick it P4 on the final run.

I learned early in the race that I went into the hairpin hotter than others, giving DJC a little tap, but we continued on OK. Sorry about that! As the race went on and I was chased by the Eagles, I realized that I was making a lot of time up with my deep left-side entry, hard braking and pitching the car sideways to get a launch out of the hairpin. Of course I'd lose all the time on the front and back straights.

Still, managed to hold onto 5th position for a while with two Eagles behind me, but a little too much Colton-Herta'ing* overheated the tyres and when I was trying to cool them off I caught Bruce at a bad moment and the Eagles caught me at Spoon where usually I had built a gap since the Hairpin. I did my typical thing of giving too much room and driving myself right off the track. I spun back to 8th. I pitted two laps after halfway and Nauman had undercut me, so I was in 9th. I could catch up a bit here and there in the twisty bits sometimes, but I had to wait for a mistake, which eventually did happen. A couple more mistakes ahead of me (and Tim having a late pitstop) netted me 6th place, only about three seconds out of a battle for 4th and 5th. That spin certainly cost me, but P6 is a good result regardless!

* Reference:

Dan Bayford

League Member
I was surprised my early qualifying time stood to P6 all the way to the end, and even more surprised to stick it P4 on the final run.

I learned early in the race that I went into the hairpin hotter than others, giving DJC a little tap, but we continued on OK. Sorry about that! As the race went on and I was chased by the Eagles, I realized that I was making a lot of time up with my deep left-side entry, hard braking and pitching the car sideways to get a launch out of the hairpin. Of course I'd lose all the time on the front and back straights.

Still, managed to hold onto 5th position for a while with two Eagles behind me, but a little too much Colton-Herta'ing* overheated the tyres and when I was trying to cool them off I caught Bruce at a bad moment and the Eagles caught me at Spoon where usually I had built a gap since the Hairpin. I did my typical thing of giving too much room and driving myself right off the track. I spun back to 8th. I pitted two laps after halfway and Nauman had undercut me, so I was in 9th. I could catch up a bit here and there in the twisty bits sometimes, but I had to wait for a mistake, which eventually did happen. A couple more mistakes ahead of me (and Tim having a late pitstop) netted me 6th place, only about three seconds out of a battle for 4th and 5th. That spin certainly cost me, but P6 is a good result regardless!

* Reference:
Wow what a great bit of control

bullwinkle

Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Sorry Rick for bump lap 1 my bad. Cant figure fuel i had same amount for first ten laps as last ten laps. pit la ten with some fuel left lap 18 I have to pit for fuel. not sure why.

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
That happened to me in an earlier race. The pitstop fuel was not the same as race-start fuel, even though I have 0 pitstops in the plan so it SHOULD use the same value as starting fuel. It apparently does not -- at least not always. Just need to set up a pitstop amount, then set it back to 0 stops, make sure the setup is saved and assigned. Not sure exactly what is the thing that causes it exactly.

hangon

I did better than expected, some real good battles with several of you. One race left, I've really enjoyed racing with all here, as always great driving and race etiquette.

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Congrats Dan, pleased you finally got one in , your driving has been getting better and better ,you deserve this win.

Dan Bayford

League Member
Thank you Dave I still can't believe it to be honest hope you are enjoying your holiday see you on track soon :)

Dan Bayford

League Member
I was able to get a lot of practice in for this race but was still really shocked at the outcome I thought I would be able to do a hot lap to get me up the grid in qually but didn't think I would last a whole race at anything like that pace but at last I got a great start and managed to stay in front at the start of the race which usually takes me a couple of laps to settle JP was on my tail the whole way I knew 1 lock up and he would have been passed me i planned to stop on lap 10 and JP stayed out and DJ came in the pits that was the first time I realised how close he was in 3rd my Pitstone went smoothly and when I came back out I was in 5th I think Jp pitted and came out in front of me but luckily my tyres were up to temperature and I was able to stay close to him until the straight were I had the more powerful car and was able to pass but I just couldn't shake him every I pulled a few 10ths on the straight in a blink of an eye he was back on me omg what a great battle I just managed to cross the line in front I can't explain the feeling but I no I want some more of it :) Big thanks to JP for one of the cleanest hardest battles I've ever been in a big thanks to our Admins for making all this possible great race everyone see you on track

Ricknau

Rick Nauman
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
First of all, CONGRATS Dan!! You have made such huge strides in speed and race craft. Well deserved win!

My race was typical for me. Mid pack all the way with no real close battling. I eeked out some PBs near the end trying to catch Gary from about 3 sec back. Was making gains but threw it off track in trying, letting Ron get by. I figured that might happen but thought it would be more fun than just cruising to the finish.

And NP Tim on the tap. Didn't effect the car or race.

Two quirks:
I never practiced pitting and so decided I should do so in the 7 min warm up. Never realized how complicated finding the pit entry could be at this track. There are apparent "decoy" entry points (very winding paths) just before the chicane which totally fooled me. I never figured it out. This decoy path added 15 second to the entry for my pit stop!! :eek: What a dummy! :rolleyes:

Also, I ran out of gas just after the sharp left of the final chicane! Luckily I had just enough momentum to coast across the line at about 10mph. And lucky Tim was just far enough back to not pass me. Weird because I'm pretty sure I had calculated enough spare fuel to not be that close.

Last edited:

lamer of fortune

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Congrats Dan, great to read all that excitement around this race. IT was not so exciting for ma as I found only little time for practice and still experimented wit diffrent setups just before the race. I worked out better than expected in Q where I could scrub off a second from the prevous PB to P 6 (or 8?). However I last it all in the first round due to a stupid spin in the traffic and then after some catch up lost it again through many small mistakes. The car developed a bit too much oversteer the longer the race went on. I also just came off the IRS GT3 race . That league was supposed to have alternating dates but then they screwed up over easter and now its two races just after each other and It is getting hotter and hotter now outside. Anyway it still was a lot of fun and I look forward to our next race.

J-P SImard

League Member
First of all congratulations for this first victory Dan, I am very happy to have contributed to make it satisfactory because I really gave everything to pass you and you were very solid, the type of driving necessary to win championships.

Otherwise a very interesting race because I was fast on the twisty parts and Dan was untouchable on the straights, my only way to pass him was by mistake or undercut. Which I managed to do by stopping one lap later than Dan. I gave everything to give myself a small gap in the S, but with the cold tires I couldn't give myself enough of a gap to protect myself from Dan who passed me on the straight.

Then it went like the first stint when Dan made no mistakes and didn't crack under the pressure. I remember a hot moment when a driver in front was in the middle of the track and we both passed him on the outside as if it was natural and then resumed the battle as if nothing had happened, it was surreal. Congratulations, a very nice victory.

Honorable mention for DJ who wins the championship, congrats my friend.

See you all on the track.

Last edited:

Ricknau

Rick Nauman
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
The pitstop fuel was not the same as race-start fuel, even though I have 0 pitstops in the plan so it SHOULD use the same value as starting fuel.
I might be wrong but I've always gone on the assumption that the game uses the second fuel load setting even when number of stops is set to 0. I set the number of stops to 1 just to open the option to set the second load, then purposely reset to number of stops to 0 so I don't get that annoying green wrench pit stop icon.

I say "on the assumption" because I rarely take a close look at fuel remaining at the end of a race. It might be that I've just been a lucky fool having the starting load always being more than half-race amount.

Regardless of my personal theories, Tim's experience clearly indicates a different consumption rate for the second stint.

Dan Bayford

League Member
Thats the same for me I select 1 stop set the fuel amount and deselect 1 stop otherwise its set at default ltrs what I have noticed is that I cant adjust the amount of fuel when entering the pits if I have to add or reduce the fuel at the stop I used to be able to as I entered the pit lane but now if I adjust it it doesn't give me any fuel not sure if thats just me

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I always overfuel these cars as I find if they are too light traction suffers, I usually end up with 5 or more litres