• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Poorly PC

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
The 2 replacement RAM sticks I bought used off eBay arrived 3 days ago.
I put them in straight away, but the 'Blue Screens of Death' started up again after that :(. I get a few of them a day. Can happen any time. Can happen out of the blue.
Complete mystery, Can not rule out the replacement RAM is bad too but highly unlikely.
All drivers up to date, Windows updated. Computer not over clocked. The new sticks are identical to my other sticks, they even have the same model number to my other RAM sticks.
It's not always the same error messages on the Blue Screens, been getting a few, but reading up on them they always seems to say check your memory.
When I do a Windows Memory Test, it does not find errors.

When I have time I'll see what happens if I remove one of the new sticks, just leaving 3 sticks in there, 12 Gig.
If that still fails, I'll just stick with 2 sticks, that was working 3 days straight without Blue Screens. Most stuff runs fine with just 8 gig anyway.
It's a bit annoying this problem.

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
You have my sympathies. I know how annoying this kind of thing can be. Wish I could help.

Dan Bayford

League Member
I had ram trouble i had 16 (2x8s then bought the same again a month later same make model mhz ect even from the same dealer i put it in and had error after error i took the new er ram and all ok swapped it and again all ok put all in and crash. So I've left it at 2x 8s at the mo i might try 2 16s if I get the chance just to see but it is very frustrating as is your problems

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Yesterday, I removed one of the sticks, leaving 3 sticks in. Still Blue screens and crashes, so that did not help.
Took out the 3rd one leaving the two 4 gig sticks in like I had before.
Computer working normally again. No more Blue Screens of Death.
I'll just keep it like that.

I had ram trouble i had 16 (2x8s then bought the same again a month later same make model mhz ect even from the same dealer i put it in and had error after error i took the new er ram and all ok swapped it and again all ok put all in and crash. So I've left it at 2x 8s at the mo i might try 2 16s if I get the chance just to see but it is very frustrating as is your problems
Yes, reading google about this it seems like a very common problem.

So I've left it at 2x 8s at the mo I might try 2 16s if I get the chance just to see but it is very frustrating as is your problems
What games or software do you need 32 Gigs of RAM for? I'm finding it hard to use over 8 Gig. When I had 16 gig working in my machine, only S397 Nords track + many different cars running at same time at most used about 12 gig. Save your money :D.

Dan Bayford

League Member
Yesterday, I removed one of the sticks, leaving 3 sticks in. Still Blue screens and crashes, so that did not help.
Took out the 3rd one leaving the two 4 gig sticks in like I had before.
Computer working normally again. No more Blue Screens of Death.
I'll just keep it like that.

Yes, reading google about this it seems like a very common problem.

What games or software do you need 32 Gigs of RAM for? I'm finding it hard to use over 8 Gig. When I had 16 gig working in my machine, only S397 Nords track + many different cars running at same time at most used about 12 gig. Save your money :D.
I originally built a new pc for flight sim but never got round to buying FS so the only thing I do on it is rf2 :)

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I may have some PC components (or entire machines) becoming available in the near-ish future if anyone is interested (UK only) - otherwise they’ll need to be either fleabayed (if worth the effort) or recycled.

I’ve acquired two midi-tower pcs that belonged to my late father (who died in 2016 just to give you an idea of PC modernity - but I’m still racing on a 2013-based CPU myself, so…) I’m in the process of hunting through them for files of interest but will then probably break them up as I don’t have the space.

The better of the two is an i7-4820K based unit used for photo work - currently with 32GB of RAM (but I might pinch half of that for my PC), three modest SSDs (1TB being the biggest), Palit GPU (GTX660 it seems)), decent Corsair 650W PSU and decent mobo (Asus) , case (Coolermaster).

The second of the two is definitely older and might not be up to much - ikve yet to fire it up but it has traditional hard drives for starters… (update - the second one was ancient junk and i‘ve already decommissioned it - Corsair 650W PSU though if anyone needs one).

At some point (probably towards the end of this year when shiny new kit comes on the market), I’ll probably retire my current PC too (i7-4770K (water cooled), 2080Ti, 16GB, SSDs etc. - but that one might make more sense as a complete unit rather than breaking for spares.

Last edited:

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Ok, here’s the spec:

Intel i7-4820K CPU (3.7GHz I believe - and overclockable as it’s a K model) + cooler
16GB of (get this!) WORKING RAM ;-P
500GB SSD (C drive)
Palit GTX660 GPU
DVD-RW (or whatever)
Windows 7 Professional (license key sticker on case)
Coolermaster ATX case (inc. front mounted multi-format card reader)
Corsair VS650 PSU

Anyone interested before I try to eBay it in some shape or form? Not looking for big bucks - just less hassle than flea bay.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Ok, here’s the spec:

Intel i7-4820K CPU (3.7GHz I believe - and overclockable as it’s a K model) + cooler
16GB of (get this!) WORKING RAM ;-P
500GB SSD (C drive)
Palit GTX660 GPU
DVD-RW (or whatever)
Windows 7 Professional (license key sticker on case)
Coolermaster ATX case (inc. front mounted multi-format card reader)
Corsair VS650 PSU

Anyone interested before I try to eBay it in some shape or form? Not looking for big bucks - just less hassle than flea bay.
Thank you for sharing the specs.
I'm half interested, but my sad face tells me the specs is not too much better than I have already :(. But it would be nice to have a backup PC incase this one died. When my pc was poorly it did dawned on me if this one was to die I would have nothing.
Out of curiosity, do PM me the price + Postage :).

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Thank you for sharing the specs.
I'm half interested, but my sad face tells me the specs is not too much better than I have already :(. But it would be nice to have a backup PC incase this one died. When my pc was poorly it did dawned on me if this one was to die I would have nothing.
Out of curiosity, do PM me the price + Postage :).
It’s up on eBay (just this sec) EBay linky but I’ll PM you too…

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
@Edvvc Keep us updated on your poorly PC that is crashing again.
Over heating 980 TI card?
Will you be doing a GPU re-paste soon to see if that fixes it?

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
It crashed just before the sprint race start and I managed to still join. I was logging graphs in afterburner but had to focus on the race start. I think the temperature was low. I have limited it to 78 and at the time of the crash it was 75. Does that rule out a problem that repasting would fix?

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
I guess it's one of them things you don't know until you try.
I've not done it my self but looks not so hard from watching a few videos on Youtube.

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
I used memtest to diagnose an incorrect BIOS setting a while back but will try again, probably letting it run longer this time.

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
This afternoon I ran memtest with 4 passes and no errors were reported.

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
Rfactor 2 has now crashed in the last two league races. I see this error after Wednesday's crash. Any ideas of the cause?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 9