• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Please read this

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
This modding subforum was added recently in SR4L by our kind hosts, in order to serve those members here interested in modding.

We hope it will grow and maybe it will be helpfull for those able or interested in taking up modding.

Mainly it is a place where you can publish your work and progress through it.

Also it is a place to help others, providing them with usefull links and best of all with tutorials on importand stages of modding work.

This is not a place for showing non members work and projects, except where it is needed in a discussion as an example.

Furthermore we would like to keep this place legal.

There is much talk in the community about legality or lack of it in modding.
Lets keep it simple.

Mods should not be converted without the express permission of their original creators.

Commercial mods i.e. mods that were offered inside/through a certain Sim, should not be used in other sims.
Even if they were offered by the company for free conversions, surely they were not meant to be used in other games.

Freeware mods are a different case, they can be converted and used everywhere, only though with the expressive permission of their original creators.
This is not about legality, it is about ethics and we want our community here to be above all an ethical community.

Threads with work submitted against the above rules will be closed if author does not comply with them, or give proof of permission to convert a certain project, and links will be removed.

Since all above were not announced till now, we will give some days while posters can object or prove the legality of the conversions or remove their posts or links.
After some days action will be taken.

Please guys, take the hard way, make everything from scratch, it is more fun this way ;)

vittorio

1959nikos said:

Mods should not be converted without the express permission of their original creators.

Freeware mods are a different case, they can be converted and used everywhere, only though with the expressive permission of their original creators.
This is not about legality, it is about ethics and we want our community here to be above all an ethical community.

Totally agree! Makes me an even more proud SR4L member.

Dany_Mitchel

Yutani Designs Building Better Worlds
This is the law so I work to that

Non-commercial research and private study

You are allowed to make single copies or take short extracts of works when the use is for research that you do not make any money from or for private study, for educational courses or even for use in connection with a hobby.

Limited use or fair dealing is only permitted for non-commercial research and private study when using literary (written), dramatic (theatrical), musical, artistic work (art, photographs etc) or the layout of a publication (the font size, font style, and so on).

The purpose of this exception is to provide students and non-commercial researchers more access to copyright works. In assessing whether your use of the work is permitted or not you must assess if there is any financial impact on the copyright owner because of your use. Where the impact is not significant, the use may be acceptable.

If your use is for non-commercial research and/or private study you must ensure that the work you reproduce is supported by a sufficient acknowledgment.

Please find full page here
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-other/c-exception/c-exception-research.htm

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
That's great info Dany, very usefull, ty.

Ill take a closer look at this, but it looks its a UK law, does it apply at indernational level?

Dany_Mitchel

Yutani Designs Building Better Worlds
This law has to be global How can I be safe in one country from copyrighting some one else in another country it dont work like that.
I found the Laws as they applie to UK from UK Site I bet if you look on your country site then it will read the same thing.
This has all come from rfactor2 forums and people getting their facts Wrong and to many kids trying to protect what they them self's have stolen from other games.

Like I said What I am doing is all for non Profit I dare anyone to take me to court over some shaders and some 3D models that they never made in the 1st place.
If on the other hand I was selling my Mods claiming to be the God of rFactor2 Moding I would expect a few people to tell me they had seen my works before But I am betting still no one would come and arrest me for it. I truly think this is going to far it is a game that runs a DX9 engine NO ONE cares unless you are clearly ripping off Company's like Porche or some other global Corporation because if they let the little fish slip then the Sharks will attack.

This is from Canada[/quote]
The Copyright Act of Canada was first passed in 1921. Substantial amendments occurred in 1988 and 1997.[2] The defence of fair dealing was first introduced in the 1921 Act, duplicating section 2(1)(i) of the U.K. Copyright Act 1911. Since then, fair dealing has been amended by statute three times. First, by the North American Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act, 1993, s. 64(1), and second by An Act to Amend the Copyright Act, 1997, s. 18. Most recently the Copyright Modernization Act, 2012 added the fair dealing purposes of education, parody and satire.[3]
Fair dealing has traditionally been conceived of as a defence to copyright infringement. The plaintiff therefore has the burden of establishing infringement, after which the burden of proof rests upon the defendant to make out the defence. While the burden remains upon the defendant,[4] fair dealing is now considered a "user's right" rather than simply a defence, and should be interpreted liberally to accommodate freedom of expression as guaranteed by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

That was taken from.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing_in_Canadian_copyright_law

exactly the same law with different name

This is from USA
§ 107 . Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use40

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

that was taken from.
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

I do not think I need keep post it from every country

I will post my work on My Google+ page if you decide to follow the law and allow tracks and cars to be posted pop over and say hello on my page and Ill come share some links.