• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

New S397 historic cars

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
Studio 397 just announced the Mini Cooper S and hint of a wider pack soon to be available. I wonder what other cars it will be racing against?

Mauro

GPL Lover
Staff member
Modding team
I think, after 2 years, i could return to buy an rf2 official car

giorgetto giaguaro

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
For once, I’ll be able to judge how realistic it is - sold my Caterham (ex)Academy around two years ago after nearly 18 years of ownership….
Wow Myles, so your feedback can be very interesting. I really love taht car, it would be cool to have a mini serie, championship or a cup, even on wednesday.

On Automobilista 2 the caterhams imo have a superb feeling. I strongly recomand it to you.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Wow Myles, so your feedback can be very interesting. I really love taht car, it would be cool to have a mini serie, championship or a cup, even on wednesday.

On Automobilista 2 the caterhams imo have a superb feeling. I strongly recomand it to you.
I think someone said the Caterham would be free content - in which case, yes, it’s suitable for Wednesday nights:cool:

Yeah - I did nearly a dozen track days and two competitive events (one hill climb, one sprint) - and around 50k road miles around Europe in my Caterham. Plus some auto testing in someone else’s….

YouTube Autotest (Hawaiian shirt and knitted hat! Those were the days!)
YouTube - Forrestburn Hillclimb

…and here I am driving through France on my way to Classic Le Mans in my Westfield Blackbird (still got this one….)
YouTube - Westfield bike engined car

Ricknau

Rick Nauman
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Awesome vids Myles. Car must have been a blast to drive!

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Awesome vids Myles. Car must have been a blast to drive!
It was - think I did something like 40-50k miles I’m it - which is way above average for these cars.

It was instrumental in me meeting my partner too…

I was doing a European tour (on my own) with 20 or so similar vehicles and we were warming up our engines on the final morning at a hotel in France while we said our goodbyes. Someone came up to me an said that “your engine made a funny sound and then stopped….”. I tried to restart it but no dice. The car park was on a hill so we tried bumping it - but every time I dropped the clutch, the rear wheels locked…

Closer inspection (I didn’t have a cam belt cover) showed that I’d stripped the belt (and taken out several valves….) Oops.

We had another tour organised for around 7 weeks later in Scotland and I knew that I’d not be able to get the engine fixed in that time with work commitments and my limited facilities - but I did know of a fellow former tourer who had his bike-engined Westfield up for sale… …so as I was being driven back to the ferry in another 7, I agreed to buy the Westfield by text message (secured with a Scottish £1 note handed to one of his neighbours who was on tour with us…).

My Caterham was the original ‘S3’ sized chassis (same as the Academy cars in the sim) - which is a tight fit for two people at the best of times (let alone with luggage - and I’d basically been running it as a single seater so that I could pack it full of camera gear (another passion). The Westfield is approximately 10% bigger in every dimension - which doesn’t sound like much until you work out that’s 30% more volume - so you can ‘comfortably’ have a passenger without literally rubbing shoulders…

…and so the wife of one of the tour organisers did some matchmaking and the rest is history…

The Caterham went to Ireland (where our tour support truck lived at the time) and was fixed by some fellow tourers - but I never really drove it again as we always used the Westfield. It was kinda cool having a spare tour car in case of last minute issues, but the car really deserved to be used so I eventually sold it two years ago to partly fund my Boxster…

I do sometimes wonder if I should sell the Westfield and buy a similar-sized Caterham with some creature-comforts such as a windscreen, heater - maybe some doors and a roof? - but they’re pretty daft money these days and nine times out of ten we’d probably just take the Boxster…