• Guest - Welcome to SR4L!
    The SR4L forum and race servers are funded entirely by donations - if you can help support us, please donate here! -> here
  • Hello Guest
    Sim Racers 4 Life is CHANGING!
    Our race and forum servers are changing for financial reasons - quite simply - we are downsizing to better match demand and the level of donations. There may be some outages over the coming days/weeks but please be patient - we will be back!
    If you can't find our race servers, try searching for 'SR4L' (no quotes) in the Matchmaker - for some reason the '!' in '!SR4L' seems to confuse it. Please keep up your support!

Help! New client release candidate - please read

Need help urgently?

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
SERVERS NOW RUNNING RC v1128 ROLLED BACK TO V1126 - please update your client via Steam (right-click on rf2 then Properties->Betas->Release CandidateNONE)

Link to S397 forum post

Some great looking updates coming in this release *BUT* for the moment, the servers will remain on build v1126 unless outside factors come into play.

For now, it is recommended that you select ‘None’ from the Betas list in Steam->rf2->Preferences->Betas. Before you change anything, back-up/save important files such as you controller profile. Go on, ask me how I know…. :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
3D sound engine?! About time! I won't do beta installation so I'll just have to wait to hear how it sounds. Finally my rear speakers should do something other than reflective sound effects.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I had a play with the RC yesterday and think it’s great.

The spacial audio (in VR at least) is fantastic and makes you wonder why it’s taken so long.

VR now has car labels - and they work pretty well (I never really got to try them on triples but I understood they could be rather an impediment to seeing the track!)

Sparks are a nice addition too - haven’t tried the wet weather stuff though.

The gear graphs are good - three ways of showing the spread of ratios including the RPM you’ll get on a full chat upshift.

Sadly, the screen stutter in VR in the setup menus hasn’t been addressed!

All in all, very promising.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Update: I'm still not comfortable updating the servers just yet due to personal experiences of the RC client offline and certain reports on the S397 site.

Personally, I've had issues with button-mapping failures and things like the pull-both-gear-paddles-to-get-neutral going awry. I'll discuss with the other admins - we're certainly not updating before tonights Fun Races...

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
OK - after a bit of discussion, we've gone live with RC 1128. F1 Legends server is up right now - the next Wednesday Fun Race will shortly follow and Server 2 will be updated later with a slight update to the Spielberg NC track (running F1 Legends Britus 49s! - main changes to the track are implementation of track level detail settings - you should be able to turn a lot of the superfluous track detail (crowds, cows, motorhomes etc.) down.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Can you:

a) add to the s397 reports (there’s one in the Bugs section of Technical called ‘dead exec’ or similar that is probably a more appropriate location than the one you linked to
b) Tedious though it sounds, have you/can you try the roll-back, roll-forward method that has worked for some others in that thread - and/or tried the file-verification check.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
ROLLBACK LIKELY

More and more issues are emerging from the v1128 RC. @DJCruicky has found that the weather on the server can deviate from the desired state (I.e. it can start raining when it is supposed to be dry) on a weekend restart and also that the Car Selector option (remember the days when you could change the car without exiting from the server? It’s back but…) is broken.

Alternative-neutral (where you pull both gear paddles to get neutral - it’s a controller JSON option) is broken on some vehicles as is P2P (push to pass).

Aside from individuals such as Ed experiencing issues even launching the game, I don’t feel we can run our F1 Legends or even Wednesday fun races if there’s a random chance the race will suddenly be wet.

A decision will be made later today but a rollback to v1126 looks likely.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Unfortunately, there are just too many problems reported with the RC v1128 and I have rolled the servers back to v1126 for now to protect the F1 Legends championship and Wednesday Night Races.

If any issues arise from this rollback, please respond here rather than the ShoutyBox

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Release Candidate Update
Steam ID:8652502
Dedicated ID:8652505

-Fixed an issue with shift events
-Fixed invisible cars playing sound (private practice)
-Fixed a bug when reloading sound definitions
-Fixed billboarding of driver labels for non-VR users
-Fixed Push to Pass MinStartSpeedKPH
-Changed Push to Pass ThrottleRequired to Push2PassActivateThrottleThreshold and Push2PassDeactivateThrottleThreshold
-Fixed Push to Pass MaxUses
-Fixed water and oil temps (but maybe this was in previous already?)
-Fixed Sparks showing at low speeds
-Fixed Using both paddles to go to neutral

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Release Candidate Update
Steam ID:8652502
Dedicated ID:8652505

-Fixed an issue with shift events
-Fixed invisible cars playing sound (private practice)
-Fixed a bug when reloading sound definitions
-Fixed billboarding of driver labels for non-VR users
-Fixed Push to Pass MinStartSpeedKPH
-Changed Push to Pass ThrottleRequired to Push2PassActivateThrottleThreshold and Push2PassDeactivateThrottleThreshold
-Fixed Push to Pass MaxUses
-Fixed water and oil temps (but maybe this was in previous already?)
-Fixed Sparks showing at low speeds
-Fixed Using both paddles to go to neutral
Howzaboutthat! I reported the P2P and neutral-paddles issues to S397!

The big question mark will be whether people experience the upgrade/rollback issues still.

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
I get the same problem with the latest release candidate I got before where the game refuses to start.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Have you reported your problem over at S397 forums? Think there is a thread somewhere there.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Have you reported your problem over at S397 forums? Think there is a thread somewhere there.
Yeah. The Bug Reports section of Technical is the place to report it. They *are* actually showing signs of reading and acting on bug reports these days - used to be a complete black hole - but they now tag reports with an official prefix flag if they’re looking at them and do pop up and comment where appropriate.

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
I got the release candidate to start by following the advice in this thread to install the Microsoft Visual Studio runtimes.