• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

It's finally paying off.........

Navigator

Hi guys,

Haven't been here for a while, haven't been racing for a while either.
Reason; family problems that never made me a nice guy so you were better off without me ;)
Now, I'm pretty exited and have to tell someone :) I can tell my nice, but she couldn't care less; I have the idea you guys may appreciate it more ;)

As some of you may know, my volunteer job is scrutineer for Knaf, the Dutch "chapter" of the FIA.
We check racing cars for safety before they go to track and for legality after the qualifying- or racing sessions.
We do that for Dutch championships (Knaf championships that is, not clubs) here in the Netherlands and outside and for other (mostly FIA) championships coming to the Netherlands.
I am part of the "track racing" chapter and don't do rally or other things. We are a small group of somewhere around 15 people.
I've been doing this for almost 15 years now and had some nice times and interesting cars like F3, Historics, DTM (they ask us to help too) GT3 and so on. But also a lot of Swift Cup, old Fords and so on.
Met guys like Vettel (did a demo at Zandvoort) Di Resta (DTM at the time) Verstappen (F3 at Zandvoort) and Hülkenberg (F3 at Zolder back then, was sitting next to him at breakfast at the hotel).

But now......you guys know what's coming to Holland, right? :)
Porsche Super Cup, Formula W, Formula 3 and.......wait for it........Formula One!
Just heard I have been assigned to Formula One :)
So, all those years finally pay off right now; this is what you want in this job, right?
It won't be all sunshine as I already got some .pdf documents telling me what to do, what not to do, how to do it and so on........
Luckily I live pretty much near the track and will be taking a moped (half hour drive through the dunes) to get there; I wouldn't like to go by car!

Anyway, thanks for reading, just had to tell someone "who gets it".

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Very great stuff Nav. Hope you have a good time. Take a few photos for us.
Don't be disqualifying cars of any of my favourite drivers or there be trouble ;).

Beng Bandrover

League Member
Then you must be living very close to my place ;) I used to be involved quite a lot in the historic rally scene (FEHAC, DHRC) and did a lot of historic rallies myself, both as driver and navigator. Quit that scene a few years ago. Had seen it all...
Enjoy your F1 experience.
I know some people that are jealous. My daughter and son in law (michelbougie, who is a better simracer than I am....) had tickets but are not selected due to the 66% spectator rule....

I do know at least one car a lot of dutch fans will be pleased if that can be disqualified (or at least get some grid penalties)... not sure if DJCruicky agrees though ;)

Navigator

Thanks guys, I will make the most of it.
Send me a list of what drivers should go free and those that shouldn't ;)
As for me; I don't have a favourite so it doesn't matter to me.

I will take pictures, but they won't be very interesting I'm afraid; almost the first thing that they told us; no pictures from the cars!

@Beng Bandrover , Driehuis that is.

Beng Bandrover

League Member
Thanks guys, I will make the most of it.
Send me a list of what drivers should go free and those that shouldn't ;)
As for me; I don't have a favourite so it doesn't matter to me.

I will take pictures, but they won't be very interesting I'm afraid; almost the first thing that they told us; no pictures from the cars!

@Beng Bandrover , Driehuis that is.
I grew up in Vogelenzang (where Olav Mol (dutch F1 commentator) also grew up, he is 1 year older than me), we could hear the F1 cars in our backyard back in the day. I'm now living in Hoofddorp

lamer of fortune

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I lived in Amsterdam for a few years and we used to go to the beach in Bloemendaal an Zee / Zandvoort .
Fond Memories.

Navigator

Hoofddorp; still pretty close!
Bloemendaal aan Zee; it's a 5 min walk over to Zandvoort. I used to live in IJmuiden, just to the right when you are on the beach :)

We had a meeting again and some more of "what to do" and a lot more of "what NOT to do"......
So, I am not even allowed to tell to what team I am assigned to (AT ;) )
Long trousers, dark blue......to give an example.

They told us how lucky we are; being in the pitlane, on the starting grid and that not much people get to do that.
Hmm, they feel the need to say that? Why?
Hehe, I'm afraid its going to be a long, long weekend ;)

Navigator

It didn't go ok, no......sorry, would have loved to show you some pictures and great stories, but I can't.

I was there wednesday and thursday, getting shit together like access to all places we would have to go.
When I came home thursday evening, we got a call from my brother-in-law saying they were reanimating my father-in-law......
They live closeby and we went over there just to hear them say he passed away.

Now I have seen sorrow, grief and crying before, but my wife had such a breakdown, it made me sick to the stomach.
So I decided to stay home that weekend; I wasn't feeling like it, but I really had to take care of my wife and kids.

Well, there will be next year.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Sorry to hear this :(. I hope your wife will be alright. Yes you did the right thing to support your wife over the weekend. Hope things get better soon . Take care.