• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Historic Road Racing Championship -- SR4L members participating

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
The HRRC is a once-a-month series in the 1954 sportscar mod for rFactor 2 (5+ litre, 3 litre and 2 litre cars only), put on by YouTuber GPLaps, beginning with a test race this Saturday at Rouen. Pre-qualifying for the event goes on for less than one more day. Only the top 40 entrants will make the cut. As of last night there were 125 registered drivers who have attempted to pre-qualify.

A few SR4L names I see on the pre-qualifications result thus far:

Myself, sitting 10th in the 3-litre class (cut line currently is at 17th almost two seconds back, so I'm looking good so far).
cookie, sitting 25th in the 3-litre class, currently not pre-qualified.
Dmitrios Pappas, sitting 8th in the 2-litre class (cut line is at 13th, just three tenths back).

JUST ANNOUNCED: A second server for those who don't pre-qualify for the main race will be up so even if you don't make the cut for the "big" race you still get to race!

If you're interested in joining, see the rulebook PDF which has links to the Discord and signup sheet. The Discord has the required number font if you want to make your own car (limited to manufacturer or national colours -- no sponsor logos). https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TN0nLNfk3brLQVAXJml5aAePXU0iPsE6lzliACATcmo/edit

While the test race is just one hour long, the regular events will be two hours each on the smaller circuits, 6 laps of the Isle of Man, and 3 laps of the Targo Florio -- those last two run in TT style.

Last edited:

Dan Bayford

League Member
The HRRC is a once-a-month series in the 1954 sportscar mod for rFactor 2 (5+ litre, 3 litre and 2 litre cars only), put on by YouTuber GPLaps, beginning with a test race this Saturday at Rouen. Pre-qualifying for the event goes on for less than one more day. Only the top 40 entrants will make the cut. As of last night there were 125 registered drivers who have attempted to pre-qualify.

A few SR4L names I see on the pre-qualifications result thus far:

Myself, sitting 10th in the 3-litre class (cut line currently is at 17th almost two seconds back, so I'm looking good so far).
cookie, sitting 25th in the 3-litre class, currently not pre-qualified.
Dmitrios Pappas, sitting 8th in the 2-litre class (cut line is at 13th, just three tenths back).

JUST ANNOUNCED: A second server for those who don't pre-qualify for the main race will be up so even if you don't make the cut for the "big" race you still get to race!

If you're interested in joining, see the rulebook PDF which has links to the Discord and signup sheet. The Discord has the required number font if you want to make your own car (limited to manufacturer or national colours -- no sponsor logos). https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TN0nLNfk3brLQVAXJml5aAePXU0iPsE6lzliACATcmo/edit

While the test race is just one hour long, the regular events will be two hours each on the smaller circuits, 6 laps of the Isle of Man, and 3 laps of the Targo Florio -- those last two run in TT style.
Good luck Ron John and Demitirios

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
Looks like I was the only SR4L member to make the cut into the main race, 37th out of 40 participants. Phew. But there is a secondary race so hopefully you guys can have a good result in the secondary server.

I see that Ratus just joined the series as well, but might have been too late for this test event. There are streams of it if you want to watch.

Better get on the server. A 6 a.m. start is a bit early for me, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do here in the western U.S. ...

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
I went half a second quicker in my qualifying than pre-qualifying, which put me I think 31st on the grid. A car three rows up stalled off the line and when I checked up, people behind could not in time. I was knocked aside by a couple others, putting me perpendicular to the track in last place. The damage cost me 10mph on the straights, so I couldn't really race anyone -- just take advantage of mistakes.

I wouldn't quite have enough fuel to finish the race so I pitted at halfway, and an idiot (the fastest driver on course, so one of those hotlappers who doesn't care about others) who happened to share my pitstall decided to run over my car and completely destroy the right side. (He says later in chat he sees nothing wrong with smashing into a pitting car in order to get into his pitbox...)

That slowed me down even more, and it seems perhaps it might have been possible to do it without a pitstop as the other cars in my class didn't pit. So, I ended up 31st out of 32 finishers. Never could really race with the speed disadvantage, but had a clean run otherwise.

First for-real race next month -- two hours at Longford. Let's hope I can pre-qualify. I just barely had the pace here...

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Well done for trying Ron. Shame you got caught up in other peoples mistakes. The pit incident sounded bad for you.

Longford has even less pitstops. Only 12 available. Good luck not sharing for that race :D.
40 drivers means you could have 4 drivers sharing the same spot o_O .
How do they deal with pit sharing in that league? Is it just the luck of the gods?

I did watch GPLaps live stream from his POV. Amazing how he could talk and drive at the same time the whole race.

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
Haven't had a chance to attempt to pre-qualify for this weekend's season opener, until just now. So far I'm in the field. With currently 17 of the 3-litre cars in the field I sit 11th. Hopefully that will hold. Tough to get a good lap in with no slipstream help! Our cookie looks solidly in the field for the 2-litre class too as of this moment. Saturday's race -- a two-hour affair at Longford (edited for extra pit spots apparently) -- will have a livestream broadcast with commentary from Aidan Millward, on SimplyRace.

Last edited:

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Wish you both luck. Try not crash on first corner :D.
How many pitstops you planning on? Put extra fuel in in-case you are sharing pit so you can do another lap. When you press Pit request, keep an eye on if you get the chat message 'Pit Crew are ready'. If you do not get that after 30 seconds there is a possibility someone already in your pit box, in that case do another lap.​
Do share with us this special version of the track with extra pit boxes, it would be useful for SR4L.
Good luck.

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
Ah, the broadcast is on their YouTube channel.

I'll be the #215 getting lapped a lot probably. Cookie is #364 -- like most 2L cars, actually faster than a lot of the 3L field. Those things are quicker than they look.

Last edited:

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
Unfortunately I crashed out after my final pitstop. A 5-litre car was right behind me going into the viaduct but not close enough to overtake, so I pushed a little harder than I would have wanted so as not to hold him up, and ripped off the right front wheel. Darn it. I was up to 19th overall.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
The Targa Florio race is November 19, you not too late :D.

Next race is Spa67.

cookie

League Member
i crashed on the last lap but still finished - i was third in class at the time so a bummer - finished 16th overall in the 2l car ....was hard to make the pre quali ....times were dropping all week so happy i squeezed through - hope to do the same at spa

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
Well, you got a podium today in class, so congratulations on that! I was bumped out of the field on the last day of Pre-Q while I was at work, but had a blast in the support race. Flip/flopped the overall lead a few times with a 2-liter car (they seemed to lose pace on low fuel). Probably was set for an overall win (5-liter cars didn't last more than half an hour) but then I checked my fuel number on the run to Eau Rouge, went wide and rolled it over the haybales. Eventually the car was righted and though not handling well and losing two seconds per lap on the straights, I was able to finish third with a class win and only 21 seconds off the overall.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Well done Cookie for podium. Weldone for even finishing. I did watch the youtube stream of GPLaps POV, saw the event had similar 1st corner pile up like we had in our SR4L 1960s league race. Did you get through ok this time, I'm just remembering you upside down in ours :D.
Sorry you did not make it to the big race Ron, but sounds like you had fun in your support race.

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
Final event of the series tomorrow, at classic Le Mans. I haven't been able to participate in quite a while but since I have today off I was able to join the pre-Q session and with a helpful Mercedes staying right against my nose on the Mulsanne I was just able to make the final cutoff slot for the 3-liter class -- one of only two Aston-Martins to make it. We're verrrry slow on the straights. Even in a draft every other car can pull away from us in competitive running. So I'll just have to survive out there and take what comes my way.

So, if you're not racing tomorrow, tune into the race broadcast and watch me get lapped a bunch!

bullwinkle

Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
tune in where Ron?