• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Admin GTPC BMW M1 - SR4L League Edition Spotlight

giorgetto giaguaro

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
For the first time I had a good 'relation' eith this car.
At Portland maybe I found a drivable setup making various atempts that gave me good feelings.
The P2P option may be a good addon for our league races.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Well, we had what I felt was a pretty good ’final’ evening in the M1s at Portland last night. Some very close racing at times with four or five car trains jockeying around a quite tricky track.

There were plenty of incidents too - but Portland does bite in a number of places - particularly the final complex leading onto the start/finish straight!

We really would appreciate constructive feedback for the car - in particular how it is doing in relation to it’s primary (re-)design goal which can be summarised as “a car thats not difficult to setup and drive in order to allow the mid field guys to challenge for wins”:

More specifically:
  • Arrive-and-drive - I.e. base setup is ‘midfield raceable’ out of the box
  • Tunable - I.e. setup changes *do* make a difference and allow sufficient flexibility for personal style
  • Handling is responsive to driver inputs - I.e. can you adjust the line with a dab of brakes or a bootfull of throttle
  • Benign Handling within a large envelope - can you catch a slide or ease out of understeer - or, rather, how out of shape can you get without it becoming terminal
  • Do tyres have a sensible working range allowing you to push and recover
  • Does the draft effect and Push To Pass feel beneficial and balanced

bullwinkle

Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I liked the car because it was drivable for me a usual slow guy. It was easy to drive right away and could handle a few tweaks. I found the p2p interesting in one case Dan was gaining on me down front straight and I had saver a p2p to use so I stayed in front of him. For me to be competitive it was a cool car.

Edvvc

League Member
Summer League Champion!
I really like the car to drive, but I'm getting graphics problems.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I really like the car to drive, but I'm getting graphics problems.
Couple of things to test (different car/track combos and internal/external views) in your Help! thread, if you wouldn’t mind Ed.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I liked the car because it was drivable for me a usual slow guy. It was easy to drive right away and could handle a few tweaks. I found the p2p interesting in one case Dan was gaining on me down front straight and I had saver a p2p to use so I stayed in front of him. For me to be competitive it was a cool car.
Good stuff, thanks.

I wasn’t sure how P2P would be received given that it’s decidedly non-period (but I regard the SR4L as a kind of restomod) - but I had an inkling from some of the stalemate situations in some cars on Wednesdays (where a slower driver could hold back a much quicker one) that a teaspoonful of help might be nice.

The allocation is deliberately small so that (even on a Wednesday) you can’t repeatedly defend or attack with it - it’s very much a tactical ’lifeline’.

I’m still in two minds as to whether it should be allowed in Qualy (I *think* you can restrict it to Race and Practice). It does kinda force you to abandon a Qualy run if you’ve used up your allocation - but on the other hand, good tactical timing of deployment could mean the difference between a midfield and a grid-leading start position….

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I agree with removing it for Qually.
I have now done so for the next iteration. Just waiting to sort the window thing and then I should be able to rebuild the mod for private testing.

I’ve also added more gear ratios but not yet tested them (same overall range, more options)