• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

G27 losing centering while driving (fix inside)

gorgias1976

Gorka Santisteban
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
DJCruicky said:
Before putting it back together again today. I noticed I made a boobie, even though I was careful, I noticed I got super glue in 3 or 4 of the encoder holes. Could not even stick a pin in them to remove it :(. Testing wheel after putting it back together I now have big problem wheel looses centre after a few minutes driving. Was hoping it would work as the glue is transparent. Buggered it big time I did.
Apart from buying that brass one, I'm out of ideas. I guess I will be wheel less until I sort it.

Could it be that the position sensor wheel is sliding from its axe when the wheel heats up? The light is going across the holes filled with super glue, at least the sensor detects it, otherwise it would behave wrong since the very first second.

I've just read that acetone can be used to help disolve cyanoacrylate.

Check this just in case, not too cheap though. http://cmlaserservice.com/page_g25_g27_optical_encoder_wheel.html

Hectari

Aw gutted! I wish i'd thoroughly explained how I glued it together. I did read that someone else contacted logitech and they offered him a wheel at half price, so you may get that option at least. :-[

The brass one is $37 delivered from what I saw on their site, delivery time could be decent or it could take ages :-\

edwin

real live is overrated....
you could put it in a small container filled with alcohol...and leave it there for some time. When the glue is weakend than try to remove it with a needle or blow it of with compressed air.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Thanks for all the help you guys. not done anything yet. Not opened it up again. Will wait to hear what Logitech have to say.
I did an experiment on a test surface to see if alcohol would remove super glue, it never worked, even scrubbing the test surface did nothing (it was only 37% alcohol but).
The holes are smaller than pin holes and square in shape which make it difficult. The pictures above make it look so much bigger than it is.
Plan B is that brass one.

Hedlund said:
Yes you should glue the sensor wheel to the axis so it can't move!!
Yeah, that is what I was originally trying to do but failed.

edwin

real live is overrated....
DJ i still have my logitech Momo wheel standing here, if someone could tell if the same thingy is inside i could try to take it out and send it over to you.....that is if you pay the poststamp ;)

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
I have a MOMO wheel too, used it for seven years, held together with glue, bluetack and duct tape :D. I would doubt it's the same part but. Thanks for the offer anyway.
I could maybe use my old Momo wheel and my G27 pedals until I sort my problem out. Think RF2 would just kill the Momo :D.

gorgias1976

Gorka Santisteban
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
I've started using "repair extreme", is a little less aggressive than superglue (dries slowlier), same strong when it dries and can bear torsion without tearing into glassy pieces (as superglue does).

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
I'll keep that in mind thanks.
Think I will dust off my Momo wheel tonight, I remember how loud it was :). Only 270 degree rotation it has but :O.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Never got round to trying the Momo, instead I had another go at opening up G27 wheel. Found a very thin needle this time, slowly scrapped at the glue, took forever, put it all back together, tested it and the wheel now works. :D.
Was playing in the SR4L server with no problems.

So lesson learnt kids, only allow adults use super glue ok. ::)

X

XTad

I tried to superglue the encoder wheel but when I was putting it back on the axle I think I've pushed it too far because I can't put back the PCB (the encoder wheel is not aligned with the gape on the PCB) but it's too tight and I cant remove it without breaking it. Are you suppossed to push the encoder wheel all the way down?

gorgias1976

Gorka Santisteban
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
XTad said:
I tried to superglue the encoder wheel but when I was putting it back on the axle I think I've pushed it too far because I can't put back the PCB (the encoder wheel is not aligned with the gape on the PCB) but it's too tight and I cant remove it without breaking it. Are you suppossed to push the encoder wheel all the way down?

Try this to remove the superglue and put it back again in its correct position

Hedlund said:
"Super glue can be easy to remove from plastic. Use rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab to make the glue soft. Once the glue softens you can wipe it off"

X

XTad

Thanks for quick reply. The glue is hardly causing any troubles as I was putting it back when it was fully dried. And what would the correct position be? I've seen some videos and everybody has been pushing it all the way down but then I have problem with the PCB.

gorgias1976

Gorka Santisteban
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
Check the position of the wheel as in the picture below.

Also check the little yellow electronic board to be in its correct position and properly screwed.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2131i4CAA2439DA6E1814/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1