• Guest - Welcome to SR4L!
    The SR4L forum and race servers are funded entirely by donations - if you can help support us, please donate here! -> here
  • Hello Guest
    Sim Racers 4 Life is CHANGING!
    Our race and forum servers are changing for financial reasons - quite simply - we are downsizing to better match demand and the level of donations. There may be some outages over the coming days/weeks but please be patient - we will be back!
    If you can't find our race servers, try searching for 'SR4L' (no quotes) in the Matchmaker - for some reason the '!' in '!SR4L' seems to confuse it. Please keep up your support!

G27 issue, it's like it has no AC power reaching it

Harri Mac

League Member
I took the wheel to bits, checked it all out and put it back together.

The encoder wheel looks fine, no issues there.

What I have is quite different.

On the run up to it failing entirely I used to get force feedback faults. In rF2 I would leave the pits and have no forcefeed back, so I'd ESC back to the pits and leave again, then the FFB would be on super strength, hard to move the wheel. ESC again then it might be right strength and everything good. Made racing hard though as I never knew which version I would get on leaving the pits to being on the start line. I cannot drive for an hour with the FFB on full strength.

Now the wheel is together again, correct driver installed, the wheel behaves as though it is plugged in via the USB but does not have the mains adapter plugged in, though it is.

The settings register pedal movements, all button presses, flappy paddles, etc., but the wheel movement is dead, it shows nothing.

I tested the powerpack with the multimeter, it appears to be outputting the correct voltage. I guess I'm going to have to repeat this with the mainboard in the wheel, take it apart again.

I am not the only person to experience this issue, have found a lot of people talking about it but no fixes spotted yet.

Anyone else here experienced this issue?

Incidentally, the dishwasher also died, so I'm going to have fun taking that apart tomorrow to find the fault, will be stress free as I'm throwing the whole lot in the car and taking it to the tip. It did go BANG very loudly before tripping out the electrics. Everything is on anti-surge plugs to ensure that nothing is damaged by electrical anything. In the distant past I lost a printer to a close lightening strike. I don't think that has caused the further degredation of the wheel issue.

Bruce

League Member
Not sure if it is related. I have a G25 and find the FFB goes away and then gets very stiff in RF2 sometimes. I don't usually leave though as I have a 14 inch wheel on mine and it is bolted to a heavy metal frame, so I have the leverage to get over the extra FFB. I can't remember when this problem started (may have always been there), but I do not have it in any other sim/game. I mainly use iRacing, but have run others from GPL to Project Cars.

I haven't got a dishwasher so can't comment on that.

Last edited:

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
I think I can help my lady, in the sense that I have more bad luck than you at the end of this year.
The washing machine died (I bought a new one)
the dish washer died (I bought a new one)
clutch on wife's car died (we installed a new one)
steering gear on wife's car is about to die (we will be installing a new one)
steering gear on my car is about to die (I will install a new one)
Definately a Murphy's law end of 2019 for me.

Ohh, G25 is ok, probably because I dont use it much the last two years :S

Harri Mac

League Member
I think I can help my lady, in the sense that I have more bad luck than you at the end of this year.
The washing machine died (I bought a new one)
the dish washer died (I bought a new one)
clutch on wife's car died (we installed a new one)
steering gear on wife's car is about to die (we will be installing a new one)
steering gear on my car is about to die (I will install a new one)
Definately a Murphy's law end of 2019 for me.

Ohh, G25 is ok, probably because I dont use it much the last two years :S

That's bad, at least the cars are worth repairing.

I'm having fun with the dishwasher, took the door apart while I was waiting for my food to cook, the problem was not steam getting into the electrics in the door or rinse aid leaking on the wires. This means tomorrow I look at its bottom and take it apart, woo hooo! I suspect the water heater has developed a leak, it's a £140 replacement part in this machine. I found a brand new machine, reasonable make, with cosemetic damage for the same price with a 1 year warranty. I chose that.

I have a nasty suspicion there is a problem with the main board in the wheel, replacement ones are available (from China) on ebay but are £54, need to test things first, maybe swearing and threatening everything will scare it into working, maybe . . . . . .

Harri Mac

League Member
Not sure if it is related. I have a G25 and find the FFB goes away and then gets very stiff in RF2 sometimes. I don't usually leave though as I have a 14 inch wheel on mine and it is bolted to a heavy metal frame, so I have the leverage to get over the extra FFB. I can't remember when this problem started (may have always been there), but I do not have it in any other sim/game. I mainly use iRacing, but have run others from GPL to Project Cars.

I haven't got a dishwasher so can't comment on that.
I've noticed it also in Dirt Rally 2, it does effect driving performance when there is no FFB but it never went on super full in that game. In rF2 when the FFB was on full it was super hard to move the wheel, a few laps like that were enough to wipe me out. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the FFB problem, sorry to say.

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
I would go and buy a second hand G27, whatever your problem they proved their worth and strength over the years, as a matter of fact I should go and buy one for me too, theres never going to be another g25 or g27 in this price range.
G25 is realy old, G29 is same as G27 but double price, a used G27 is a true bargain.

Harri Mac

League Member
Does at least setting a FFB Reset button help on that?

Have you tried deleting all G27 software and reinstalling it all back again? As when I have problems relating some W10 updates. See for instructions -> http://www.simracers4life.com/forum...you-have-windows10-and-the-logitech-g27.1485/
The reset FFB button did not work with it, I tried because it had worked with it in the past.

This is a fresh install of Windows 10, it was behaving oddly on the old install, like the wheel was digital, either all left or all right. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but issues were getting worse.

I've trawled the net, all indicators are that this is the green blinky light of death for a G27.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a "new" wheel. I don't want a G29 or G920 though, the buttons are stupid for driving, not designed by anyone who plays driving games.

Harri Mac

League Member
Please inform us what you have in mind Harri, sounds interesting.

I'll be boring and try and locate a G27 in little used condition, might try for the older version with the 60 hole encoder wheel, have to see what shows up and wait on something good. I have an older Fanatec wheel but I just don't like how it handles, it will do in a pinch I guess, it just doesn't feel that responsive in comparison to the G27, it's hard to drive with it.

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
I'll be boring and try and locate a G27 in little used condition, might try for the older version with the 60 hole encoder wheel, have to see what shows up and wait on something good. I have an older Fanatec wheel but I just don't like how it handles, it will do in a pinch I guess, it just doesn't feel that responsive in comparison to the G27, it's hard to drive with it.

I think Bryan had a Fanatec CSW (maybe he still does).
I remember it as an expensive top quality wheel, much above Logitech Momo I had back then, are you sure CSW isnt better than G25?
Only drawback I remember was that many broke, it seems yours has endured the time.

bullwinkle

Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
just to say as last resort I have both 27 and 29 available. Bought fanatec 2.5 two years ago love it

Harri Mac

League Member
Thanks Tim, that's kind of you.

I've got my eye on ebay and other selling sites for something good, who knows, I could strike it lucky at my next local auction!

The spare wheel I have is the Fanatec GT3 RS, the buttons on the wheel are nice to use but the pedals, not so nice.

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Not really impressed with Fanatec wheels , thier pedals are great but wheel quality is iffy , my CSW elite wheel snapped in half literaly, the guage of the aluminium was too thin for the loads applied to it .
Replaced it with a G29 but RF2 at that time didnt like it as the drivers were not sorted and it went anywhere but where you wanted it , personally i found all the buttons great .
Went back to my old faithfull G27 until i found a new wheel which is a Thrustmaster GT , nice wheel small dia like G27 but buttons galore 10 buttons , 4 dials , 1 pov , 2 mini joystick , you can program everything you need for racing onto the wheel itself , if only i could bloody remember what the hell i programmed each of them for :)
Keep you eye on Ebay my G27 will be going on in the new year .

Harri Mac

League Member
Not really impressed with Fanatec wheels , thier pedals are great but wheel quality is iffy , my CSW elite wheel snapped in half literaly, the guage of the aluminium was too thin for the loads applied to it .
Replaced it with a G29 but RF2 at that time didnt like it as the drivers were not sorted and it went anywhere but where you wanted it , personally i found all the buttons great .
Went back to my old faithfull G27 until i found a new wheel which is a Thrustmaster GT , nice wheel small dia like G27 but buttons galore 10 buttons , 4 dials , 1 pov , 2 mini joystick , you can program everything you need for racing onto the wheel itself , if only i could bloody remember what the hell i programmed each of them for :)
Keep you eye on Ebay my G27 will be going on in the new year .

lol at your memory deecee

I have turned into a bewildered beast over the last year or so!

I've decided to be brave, I'm going to take a proper good look at the wheel and the circuit board. I've ordered a brass encoder, will fit that. Will have to check out each component one at a time and work out what the hell has happened. It could be a faulty motor, it could be the circuit board, could be the encoder board, I'll have some fun learning anyway.

It's been on the back burner as I have a new dishwasher arriving tomorrow, I wanted to take the old one apart and see what had gone wrong before shoving it in the car ready for the recycle tip. Big bang caused by salty water leaking onto the motor from a big leak at the rear of the heater unit. Nice. Even a small scorch mark on the floor!

I am small, I have small hands, buttons can be an issue. I'm thinking of toughing it out with the Fanatec for now, watching some G27s on ebay, also thinking about my real car which will fail its MOT in April and enter offical money pit territory. I can't spend more on a wheel than on my wheels!

Bruce

League Member
The thing to remember with the G25, and I believe the G27 as well. Is the Windows 10 drivers do not work properly in that they do not recognise full 900 rotation amongst other things (shifter I think). You need to find the correct (old) drivers and it will work. They use a different folder so work alongside the latest driver is you need them so will not be overwritten when updating. I have them installed on my other PC so if anyone needs them let you know.

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
The thing to remember with the G25, and I believe the G27 as well. Is the Windows 10 drivers do not work properly in that they do not recognise full 900 rotation amongst other things (shifter I think). You need to find the correct (old) drivers and it will work. They use a different folder so work alongside the latest driver is you need them so will not be overwritten when updating. I have them installed on my other PC so if anyone needs them let you know.
Great info Bruce, now this thread is sticky, keep these drivers for me when I update from W7 to W10 (I resist it till now, I dont know how much more I'll hold..)

Keeper

Ron O'Dell
League Member
I also have the old drivers on my HD just in case. There's an easier way that has been discovered now though, when Windows 10 updates and the driver shows the G27 as a Driving Force Pro on the Profiler, simply follow these steps: Device Manager / G27 Racing Wheel / Properties / Driver / Update Driver / Browse / Let me pick / USB Input Device / Next

Bruce

League Member
I have both the old drivers and latest drivers on my Gaming PC, the new drivers are used for getting extra info on my phone or iPad and gaming keyboard, and the old one drive the wheel. I can no longer adjust the lock, FF setting etc. in game controllers in windows, but I can adjust them from the old Logitech tray icon (both are there).

On Sundays race I took extra notice of how my FF acted. Worked fine when first joining, then went leaving a very heavy centre spring. Left and was OK again, after a little while went back to heaving centre spring, as it was on the grid I just jumped into the pits and turned off car specific lock and it was OK again. During the race it went back to spring and then I think back to FF. Ass I said never have any problems in Assetto Corsa or iRacing, only RF2.

Last edited:

Harri Mac

League Member
I bought a new laser cut brass encoder wheel from Thailand (£30 delivered). The instructions said mount it higher than the original and carefully sand the inner sleeve so it fits on the spindle.

Righty ho, inner sleeve carefully sanded to fit with 400 grit paper, mounted 0.5mm below the edge of the window in the circuit board.

Wheel back together and I have action.

I inspected the old encoder, it had an almost invisilble hairline crack in it, I think that it opened up and allowed the encoder to move on the spindle while the wheel was in use.

Anyways, it appears to be working for now. I've definitely mucked up somewhere as I have no lights at the top but that is a small price to pay, I generally listen to the engine for changing gears anyway.

An added plus, my wheel had a slight lean to the left to be straight, this is now gone and it is properly straight.

I'll look at the lights at the top at some point when things are not so busy.