• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

Altering the 1992 F1 mod; input wanted.

gorgias1976

Gorka Santisteban
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
Hi, Wim, back from my week holidays. I'll have a bit busy days at work but if you want me to help with the testing I think I can find some free time in the afternoons.

What's the idea? to have a car closer to the williams/mclaren or to the rest?
I've checked some onboard videos, Williams/Mclaren using semi automatic gearboxes while other cars still using manual.
This cars look pretty glued to the asphalt some lap time comparison should be needed. :)

gorgias1976

Gorka Santisteban
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
Did these cars have auto-blip and auto-lift? I guess they had as long as they run semi-automatic gearboxes. The rFactor2 version I feel it not to be using those features, that something that should be implemented for a league version.

Also I feel the car to be to gently to drive, very easy to control sideways, it should probably be more radical when losing rear grip.

It also kind of feels too grippy at the front, that may be the reason for the too easy to control rear of the car.

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
gorgias1976 said:
Did these cars have auto-blip and auto-lift? I guess they had as long as they run semi-automatic gearboxes.

Only a few of them had semi-auto, most were h-shifters.

From ASR thread:

Mclaren Mp4/6B = H-Shift
Mclaren Mp4/7 = Paddle-Shift
Tyrrell=H-Shift
Williams=Paddle-Shift
Brabham=H-Shift
Footwork=H-Shift
Lotus=H-Shift
Fondmetal=H-Shift
March=H-Shift
Benetton=H-Shift
Dallara=H-Shift
Minardi=H-Shift
Ligier= Paddle-Shift
Ferrari= Paddle-Shift
Venturi=H-Shift
Jordan=H-Shift
Moda=H-Shift

Navigator

gorgias1976 said:
Hi, Wim, back from my week holidays. I'll have a bit busy days at work but if you want me to help with the testing I think I can find some free time in the afternoons.

What's the idea? to have a car closer to the williams/mclaren or to the rest?
I've checked some onboard videos, Williams/Mclaren using semi automatic gearboxes while other cars still using manual.
This cars look pretty glued to the asphalt some lap time comparison should be needed. :)

Thanks Gorgias,

I took a break from the mod and all start again this week.
If it is presentable, I will spread it around to every one who wants to try it out.

As for the shifting; I only use the paddles........I can't try the clutch/blipping and whatever it has to do, out.
I made an upgrade for the system as used in the Howston like Eddy wanted.
Those two types have to be tried out and I will work on it the way people want it.

1959nikos

Staff member
League Member
Navigator said:
As for the shifting; I only use the paddles........I can't try the clutch/blipping and whatever it has to do, out.

I have auto clutch on and I use h-shifter when car uses it.
I know, its not completely accurate, but clutch in rf2 is not needed anyway and I get to left brake that way and I like that.

gorgias1976

Gorka Santisteban
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
One posible idea thinking in a league version of this car:
At the car selection skin have the option to chose between Manual or semi automatic. That way, if you chose semi-automatic you get auto-blip and auto-lift and if you go Manual you don't get any of those aids.

There's a video of Michael Schumacher driving the Benetton at Monza (manual gears) and when he brakes he does a single shifting (like going straight from 6th to 2nd). This can be heard in the video pretty clear.
I Don't get access to youtube here, but it can be found very easily.

One of the main things I consider that needs to be done in this car is making the car less controlable when the tail loses grip (mainly when braking and turning in), it's too easy to recover the car when it should spin.

Navigator

Behavior is already "done".
I don't have the knowledge for skin transfers in the server though.........We can first test it like this, with an upgrade offline and if it's okay and it is going to be used, we can work on that with guys who know this kind of stuff. They should be around here, right? :)

gorgias1976

Gorka Santisteban
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
As we are in a bit of a league stop due to summer holidays + latest build server problems it's the best moment to give it all our attention.

Navigator

Okay, I have to fine-tune some more, but before the end of the week, the test mod can be handed out.

Just to test, give feedback and I will adjust; I don't have any hope it is 100% perfect ;)

However; after handing out the test mod, I will take a break from this again for a short while.
I have been working on an existing mod and altered it. I did that in a way a lot of guys on the ISI forum asked for and now, there is a good chance I am allowed to publish it.
But it can't take to long. Strange, I know, but I will explain when it comes through; you will understand, thrust me.

In the mean time; you have been able to try this one out ;)

So if you want to test, please say so (in here or by pm) and I will send you the download link.

Navigator

Sorry guys, I'm done with this.

I tried it after not working on it for a while and I think it's crap.

That, plus some recent disappointments (doing things that rendered useless) make me quit al together.

I don't think this is going to be used anyway; the mod is gone from the server and the love is gone also.

Cheers and have fun!

cookie

League Member
Navigator said:
Sorry guys, I'm done with this.

I tried it after not working on it for a while and I think it's crap.

That, plus some recent disappointments (doing things that rendered useless) make me quit al together.

I don't think this is going to be used anyway; the mod is gone from the server and the love is gone also.

Cheers and have fun!

sorry to hear that: it is still loved and being used- there is a series running at one of the sim groups now and on Aug 20 i did a on-line race with a 30 car grid - it was awesome, all the cars got used.....i dont think the community has lost its love for this mod one bit ....its not available now but expect it will be again - too good to keep down forever-

Sebring - hehe i was in 4th until 2 laps when i hit a barrier , managed a broken car into 12th

http://xfactorracing.com/index.php/forum/2014-saturday-night-racing/10791-f1asr92-test-nights#13920

gorgias1976

Gorka Santisteban
Staff member
Site Admin
Race Director
League Member
Sad news Wim, Sometimes things get frustrating, better to take a brake then.