• Like our community? Become a contributor -> here

“All cars & tracks” was very slow - now broken…

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
When changing from a server mod back to ‘all cars and tracks’, my rf2 client has always taken a ridiculous amount of time…

…but it now hangs indefinitely. The only thing I’ve done recently was to do a Steam move-files to put rf2 on a new drive. I’ve validated local files etc. Etc. I can switch between server mods in the list ok, but not to all-cars…

I looked in mod manager and couldn’t see the huge list of server mods that sit on my system from connecting to our servers. Might be that I’ve too many…

How do you clear them out (cleanly)?

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
I looked in mod manager and couldn’t see the huge list of server mods that sit on my system from connecting to our servers. Might be that I’ve too many…
I take it you changed the 'Working Dir' to the new location on your new harddrive in Mod Manager?

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I take it you changed the 'Working Dir' to the new location on your new harddrive in Mod Manager?
Yes - well, actually it changed automatically.

My packages directory is still on a traditional HD (the new one is an SSD). I can see all (I think) of the components if the relevant filters are turned on in mod manager - but not installed ‘server mod’ files downloaded (and installed?) when connecting to online servers.

I know there are some (pretty hopeless) management tools in the rf2 client - I’ll have a look to see if I can clear them out from there.

As an addendum, I left the rf2 client trying to access ‘all cars’ yesterday evening - and it had managed it when I switched the pc off before bed - but it really should take seconds at most, not tens of minutes or more.

DJCruicky

Staff member
Modding team
League Member
Could you have a peak in your file \rFactor 2\UserData\player\all_vehicles.ini
Are there any lines that point to your old harddrive?
Don't bother trying to edit any of these lines, just delete the whole file and let the game make a new one.
There are other files in that same folder, check out 'All Tracks & Cars.cch' also.
Might be easier just deleting everything in that folder if nothing else worked. Keep your Settings folder as that has all your setups and skins.

I'm also not sure if you can have a Package folder that is not in the default location. I think they broke that when they brought out the new UI.

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Could you have a peak in your file \rFactor 2\UserData\player\all_vehicles.ini
Are there any lines that point to your old harddrive?
Don't bother trying to edit any of these lines, just delete the whole file and let the game make a new one.
There are other files in that same folder, check out 'All Tracks & Cars.cch' also.
Might be easier just deleting everything in that folder if nothing else worked. Keep your Settings folder as that has all your setups and skins.

I'm also not sure if you can have a Package folder that is not in the default location. I think they broke that when they brought out the new UI.
Ta. All-vehicles did contain some references to the old drive and - frankly - was huge at 5MB for an ini file!

A quick unscientific test suggests that recreating this file has made a big difference. Switching back to All Cars took just 10 secs, say - although I’ve yet to see if connecting to a server trips it up.