Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Server should be up later today.

The plan for Wednesday fun races from (or just ‘on’ if they’re a bit rubbish) Wednesday 18th January is to (re)discover ChiefWiggum’s 70s-style F1 mod.

79E43BC1-5879-4AAB-B2DC-9D569397BA7C.jpeg
7950E556-47CB-4495-8D48-25554DE61367.jpeg
088E5C3B-AC2D-4A25-86DD-C9A56B3D200E.jpeg

We’ll start with the ‘early’ cars - plenty of variation in that lot.

Workshop Car Link

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Note: These cars are at v0.97 level and have a number of pre-release issues such as mirrors with the view rotated by 90 degrees. Drive fine and look great though!

Turn the mirrors off - but make sure you have side/look-back views mapped to buttons or use VR/head-tracking.

Mauro

GPL Lover
Staff member
Modding team
Little ot

about this F170s style, a future F1 1972 and F1 1970 standalone mod are coming

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Hellfire! I was only using default setups and mostly trying different cars to see if there were any BOP issues - but 2 secs off the pace?

Back to bed ;)

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Love these , they are so light and responsive , the default settings are quite good , just slight adjustments to brakes and aero and they balance nicely , for once the tyres appear pretty accurate , these should suit the VR guys as the speeds they generate require accuracy in turn in , could be good for a Championship season .

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Love these , they are so light and responsive , the default settings are quite good , just slight adjustments to brakes and aero and they balance nicely , for once the tyres appear pretty accurate , these should suit the VR guys as the speeds they generate require accuracy in turn in , could be good for a Championship season .
Yup. Spent a little more time with the, earlier. Some have better default balance than others but the Hill car I’m currently using seems nice.

I’m still using h-pattern (but without the clutch on upshifts) - it’s weird in VR how my gearstick felt about the right length in the Caterhams and Mazdas but feels long and ponderous here! I’m half-tempted to switch back to paddles…

Is everyone else seeing the same mirror issue I did (mirror views are 90 degrees out and show a kind of vertical representation)? I’ve had to turn them all off (can’t recall if the centre mirrors are ok (virtual).

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Its quite shocking really when you look at all the cars above and realise how many of those drivers didnt see old age , much as i love cars of that era they were death traps and the guys who drove them had big ones

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
No mirror problems here.
Oh dear.

Further investigation suggests that my rf2 mirrors are now pretty messed up. I’ve tried a number of vehicles (including official paid-for content) and anything from the FOV through available angles etc. seems wrong at some level.

I’ve deleted (and let rf2 recreate) my all_vehicles.ini to remove any weird per-car position issues and also checked my player.ini settings - nothing obvious looks wrong.

One thing I haven’t yet tried is turning off the FOV mirror reaction to head movement - it could (partly) be something weird in VR or more specifically due to my use of OpenXR (or whatever) in place of steam vr.

Jonrarit

Staff member
Race Director
League Member
Its quite shocking really when you look at all the cars above and realise how many of those drivers didnt see old age , much as i love cars of that era they were death traps and the guys who drove them had big ones

Absolutely agree. I was lucky enough to get a drive in James Hunts Hesketh F3 car a few years back and scared the life out of me!!! The suspension was loose as hell compared to modern single seaters. It also had inboard disks and the pads would knock back on the straights. The Clutch pipe ran next to the exhaust and would boil the fluid so braking into a hairpin involved pumping up the brakes and the clutch at the same time heal toeing the downshifts......... you needed the footwork of fred astaire to drive this thing

Hesketh2.jpg

deecee52

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
The technical side of the cars always interested me but i do sometimes wonder how talented Engineers could get things so wrong , like Chapman chasing lightness at all costs , the guy that i really admire is Gordon Murray he came up with some good ideas (and a few not so good) but the Fan car was definately out of the box thinking , there is a great vid on Youtube where he explained his thoughts and how he had to get the drivers to reverse thier thinking on cornering , ie dont brake into the corner but accelerate

giorgetto giaguaro

Administrator
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Hi guys, I just gave these cars a go at Old Zandvort and I had super cool impression.

I think that we can have a super Season with them. :)

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Hi guys, I just gave these cars a go at Old Zandvort and I had super cool impression.

I think that we can have a super Season with them. :)
They are tricky - but some are easier than others and they do seem to respond to a bit of setup. The hotlap times show that they are tameable and I think the progression of times is at least in part due to seat-time - as much as any track progression (which should be pretty saturated by now!)

Old Zandvoort might be a bit of a deep-end introduction (!) - I did try Silverstone 75 last night but that might be just a step too much the other way. Kyalami maybe a mid-point for next week? Something like that?

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
Cracking racing tonight - great fun.

I'll load Kyalami Legends '76 for now - haven't tried it yet but hope it will be a little easier to navigate while still suiting the cars.

Petrolhead

League Member
When I tried to join last night I could not see over the top of the car even with the seat at its highest position, any thoughts

image.jpg

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
When I tried to join last night I could not see over the top of the car even with the seat at its highest position, any thoughts

View attachment 2003
One of your seat position values does look to be negative - I know you said you’d raised the seat (W key?) as much as possible. The perspective looks weird too though - have you got the (can’t remember the name) optional triple-monitor setting on that renders each screen separately?

Myles (Mr Fox)

Server Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Modding team
Race Director
League Member
I’ve reverted to fixed mirrors for now (no reaction to head movement). I can kinda see what’s going on but it’s far from perfect.

Absolutely loving these cars though - you’ve got to get them sliding a bit but then you have all the controls (dab of brake, squeeze of juice and a smidgin’ of steering correction) to dance them.

If (@Dan Bayford) you’re suffering from snap oversteer on downshifts: a) try to make all gear changes in a straight line and b) try turning on auto-blip and auto-lift in the Gameplay settings. It seems to make a modest difference and doesn’t (AFAIK) count as an assist that will attract a weight penalty.

Championship anyone? M1s *will* make an appearance this year, I promise!